Why Does U(1) Symmetry Allow Multiple Solutions in Lagrangians?

• I
  • Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangians
In summary, the conversation discusses the U(1) symmetry of Lagrangians and its implications for the solutions of equations of motion. The speaker questions the relevance of the transformed solution Ψ' = e^iθ Ψ and its interpretation, while the other person suggests that it may correspond to a change of basis. The discussion also touches upon the importance of continuity equations and the probability interpretation of wave functions in the context of this symmetry.
Hi

On page 176 of Physics from Symmetry it says (note 9)

If we assume Ψ describes our particle directly in some way what would U(1) the transformed solution Ψ' = e^iθ Ψ be which is equally allowed describe.

He is speaking of allowed solutions of Lagrangian's. Its true for all Lagrangian's I know but why is it true generally? Or is he only speaking of the usual Lagrangian's?

Thanks
Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the only thing that's observable is the probabiliy density, Ψ†Ψ. Ψ'† = e^-iθ Ψ†, i.e. puts a minus sign in front of the phase. The two phases multiply to 1.

Likes bhobba
Vanadium 50 said:
Because the only thing that's observable is the probabiliy density, Ψ†Ψ. Ψ'† = e^-iθ Ψ†, i.e. puts a minus sign in front of the phase. The two phases multiply to 1.

That's true - but he hadn't reached that point (ie interpreting Ψ) so maybe he was thinking of something else - but what :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks
Bill

Would it correspond to a change of the basis?

Jilang said:
Would it correspond to a change of the basis?

I am now thinking ts simply because its a generator.

Thanks
Bill

For the non-relativistic case (Schrödinger, Pauli equations) it's the existence of a cintinuity equation, ensuring the conservation of the norm of the wave function in the time evolution. This enables the probability interpretation via Born's rule, because ##|\psi|^2## is the density in the continuity equation.

Likes bhobba
bhobba said:
On page 176 of Physics from Symmetry it says (note 9)

For the benefit of other readers who don't have the book, the context is:

Schwichtenberg said:
A first hint towards an interpretation [of superposition] is the U(1) symmetry of our Lagrangians, which shows us that the solution of an equation of motion ##\Psi## cannot be directly physically relevant [note 9].

[Note 9:] If we assume ##\Psi## describes our particle directly in some way, what would the U(1) transformed solution ##\Psi' = e^{i\alpha}\Psi##, which is equally allowed, describe?
I think the way he argues this is little better than hand-waving gobbledegook. The question has no chance of being answered unless one first converts the words "in some way" to a precise meaning.

He does not mention "interferometer", nor "Aharonov-Bohm", nor even "diffraction" or "double slit" anywhere in the book, hence does not have to confront the misleading superficiality of his exposition.

He is speaking of allowed solutions of Lagrangian's. Its true for all Lagrangian's I know but why is it true generally? Or is he only speaking of the usual Lagrangian's?
Imho, he's just referring to the trivial result that a symmetry of the Lagrangian will necessarily be mirrored somehow (possibly trivially) in the space of solutions of the equations of motion (since the eom are unchanged by those symmetry transformations).

1. What is U(1) invariance?

U(1) invariance is a type of symmetry in particle physics that describes the behavior of a system under a rotation in a complex plane. It states that the laws of physics remain the same when the system is rotated by a specific angle in this plane.

2. What is a Lagrangian in the context of U(1) invariance?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system. In the context of U(1) invariance, a Lagrangian describes the behavior of a system under a U(1) transformation, where the system remains unchanged.

3. How is U(1) invariance related to the conservation of electric charge?

U(1) invariance is closely related to the conservation of electric charge. This is because U(1) invariance implies that the laws of physics remain unchanged under a rotation in a complex plane, which is mathematically equivalent to the conservation of electric charge.

4. What are the implications of U(1) invariance in particle physics?

U(1) invariance has important implications in particle physics. It is a fundamental symmetry that allows us to understand the behavior of particles and their interactions. It also helps us to predict the properties of particles and their interactions in different situations.

5. Can U(1) invariance be extended to other symmetries?

Yes, U(1) invariance can be extended to other symmetries, such as SU(2) and SU(3). These are known as gauge symmetries and play a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental forces and particles in our universe.