Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U = (1 + x) and integrate

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    Hi!! I'm having trouble understanding my textbook, so can someone please explain to me how they got from

[tex]\int1/(1+x)[/tex]2 dx, with the range of the integral from 0 to x/n

to

1 - n/(x+n)

THank you So MuCh

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: integration

Are you having trouble with the integration or the final answer?

u substitution works fine here, let u = (1 + x) and integrate. The final answer is a simple algebraic trick, nothing spectacular.

4. May 2, 2009 #3

I'm just having trouble with the integration ><. Oh wells

5. May 2, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You're looking for the integral of [tex]\mathop \smallint \nolimits_0^{x/n} \frac{1}{{(1 + x')^2 }}dx'[/tex] (technically you're not allowed to have your variable of integration in your bounds)

Make a substitution so that your integral now becomes [tex]\mathop \smallint \nolimits_0^{x/n} \frac{1}{{(u)^2 }}du\frac{{dx}}{{du}}[/tex] and remember to compute dx/du.

What, when you take its derivative becomes [tex]\frac{1}{{u^2 }}[/tex]? Find what that is, substitute back in for what you had set u to and you can plug in your integration limits and wala!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook