Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U = 2yz/x, v= 3zx/y Jacobians

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    I need the solution for this If u = 2yz/x, v= 3zx/y, w= 4xy/z Show that ∂(x,y.z)/∂(u,v,w) = 1/96. Please

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly, is your difficulty? Do you know what the "Jacobian" is? Do you know how to find the partial derivatives.

Perhaps the difficulty is that you are given u, v, and w as functions of x, y, and z but are asked for [itex]\partial(x, y, z)/\partial(u, v, w)[/itex] rather than [itex]\partial(u, v, w)/\partial(x, y, z)[/itex]? Not to worry!
    [tex]\dfrac{\partial(x, y, y)}{\partial(u, v, w)}= \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{\partial(u, v, w)}{\partial(x, y, z)}}[/tex]

4. Oct 26, 2013 #3
    Yes I do know how to find. Yes I have given function w.r.t x, y, z as it was given in the problem to find the same as above. Thanks for the reply

5. Oct 26, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Excellent! Problem solved.

6. Feb 15, 2014 #5
    I Need the solution to this equation y^2 = 4ax in pedal form? I tried but could not solve it . If anybody found it kindly send the answer and it would be great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook