Exploring the Definition of <u|A|u>

• Thread starter trosten
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, there are two different definitions for <u|A|u>, one involving the length of the vector A|u> squared and the other involving the mean/average of the observable A on the quantum state |u>. These definitions are not equal, as they involve different elements. The selfadjoint linear operator A=|n><n| is an example of an orthogonal projector, where repeated projections do not change anything.
trosten
How do u define this <u|A|u>? where A is a selfadjoint linear operator.

I have one book that defines is as ||A|u>||^2=<u|A|u>
(equation 2.6 http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/chap2.ps)

and since ||A|u>||^2 is the length of the vector A|u> squared that is equal to (<u|A)(A|u>).

I have another book (j.j sakurai) that defines it as (<u|)(A|u>)=(<u|A)(|u>)=<u|A|u> but this is the projection of A|u> on |u>.

It seems to me that the two definitions arent equal !? Any ideas? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course,they're not equal,as they involve different "animals".

[tex] \langle \psi|\hat{A}|\psi\rangle [/tex]

is the mean/avrerage of the observable A described by the selfadjoint operator [itex] \hat{A} [/itex] on the quantum state [itex] |\psi \rangle [/itex]
,while the norm
[tex] || \hat{A}|\psi\rangle ||^{2} [/tex]

involves the matrix element of the SQUARE of the operator...

Daniel.

P.S.The operator is selfadjoint,that's why is the square...

Last edited:
I found the solution to the problem myself. If the operator is A=|n><n| then ofcourse AA = (|n><n|)(|n><n|) = |n><n|n><n| = |n><n| = A
Ofcourse repeated projections shouldn't change anything! silly me.

OKay,u should have told right from the beginning that u're interested in true and IDEMPOTENT ortogonal projectors... :wink:

Daniel.

haha yeah didnt think about that :smile:

1. What is the definition of ?

The definition of is a term that represents a set of elements or objects that have certain common characteristics or properties. It is a way to classify or categorize things based on their shared features.

2. How is different from a regular definition?

is different from a regular definition because it allows for more flexibility and fluidity. Instead of providing a rigid and fixed meaning, allows for a range of interpretations and perspectives. It also takes into account the context and subjective understanding of the term.

3. Why is it important to explore the definition of ?

Exploring the definition of allows for a deeper understanding and analysis of the term. It can reveal different layers and meanings that may not be apparent at first glance. It also allows for critical thinking and questioning of the term, leading to a more nuanced understanding.

4. How can the definition of change over time?

The definition of can change over time as language and society evolve. As new ideas and perspectives emerge, the meaning of the term may shift or expand. It can also be influenced by cultural and historical contexts.

5. Can the definition of be subjective?

Yes, the definition of can be subjective. As mentioned before, allows for a range of interpretations and perspectives, which can be influenced by individual experiences and understanding. This is why it is important to explore the definition of from different viewpoints to gain a more comprehensive understanding.