U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a function is integrable if and only if for any epsilon there exists a partition P such that U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon. The confusion lies in the existence of a partition P' such that L(f,P') is within a distance of epsilon/2 of the integral. The concept of supremum is used to explain how this is possible, and a simple example is suggested to illustrate it. The definition of supremum is discussed and the conversation ends with a thank you.
Buri
I won't state the theorem in full but showing that a function is integrable if and only if for any epsilon there exists a partition P such that U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon.

I'm finding the proof in the forward direction a bit confusing. If you assume the function is integrable that means that the lower and upper integrals are equal. Now the proof goes on to say that there exists a partition P' such that L(f,P') is within a distance of epsilon/2 of the integral. But how is this true!? The lower integral is defined to be the sup{L(f,P)} where P ranges over all partitions. Now let's say that sup{L(f,P)} is actually not included in the set of all lower sums, then I know that there must exist a partition such that the lower sum using this partition will lie really close to sup{L(f,P} as if there weren't it would contradict that sup{L(f,P} is indeed the supremum of all lower sums. But if it IS included in the set of all lower sums then its not necessarily true that I can find a partition really close to it as the set of all lower sums *could be* a set of discrete points. I guess to eliminate the discrete set of lower sums, L(f,P) would have to be continuous in P, is this true? Otherwise, I just don't see how there exists a P' such that L(f,P') is within epsilon/2 of the integral. Neither my professor nor Munkres in Analysis on Manifolds justify the existence of such a P'.

Any clarification? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you create a simple example, and calculate all the sums and such. Perhaps that will help. For example, let

f(x) = 1 if 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] x [itex]\leq[/itex] 1/2, and
f(x) = 2 if 1/2 < x [itex]\leq[/itex] 1

Set up a couple of partitions and see what you get,

I haven't given this much thought, but isn't that just the definition of the supremum? The supremum of a set of real numbers is a limit point of that set, hence can be approximated arbitrarily close.

If the supremum happens to be in the set itself, i.e. the supremum is in fact the maximum, then the partition P for which it occurs satisfies L(f,P)=sup{L(f,P'): P' a partition}, so L(f,P) is just equal to the lower integral, hence has distance zero.

You will agree that zero is smaller than epsilon/2...?

Landau said:
I haven't given this much thought, but isn't that just the definition of the supremum? The supremum of a set of real numbers is a limit point of that set, hence can be approximated arbitrarily close.

If the supremum happens to be in the set itself, i.e. the supremum is in fact the maximum, then the partition P for which it occurs satisfies L(f,P)=sup{L(f,P'): P' a partition}, so L(f,P) is just equal to the lower integral, hence has distance zero.

You will agree that zero is smaller than epsilon/2...?

"The supremum of a set of real numbers is a limit point of that set, hence can be approximated arbitrarily close."

I've never actually seen this definition. And as a matter of fact, I've always thought that that ONLY worked with open sets because there I must be able to approximate it with something different than the supremum but when closed I hadn't realized that I can take the supremum itself. If I had known all this I wouldn't have gotten all confused lol

Thanks for the help guys!

Buri said:
"The supremum of a set of real numbers is a limit point of that set, hence can be approximated arbitrarily close."

I've never actually seen this definition.
It's not a definition, but a result/theorem.

Thanks for the help guys!
You're welcome :)

1. What is the purpose of the "U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon" proof?

The "U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon" proof is used to prove the convergence of a sequence or function to a specific limit value. It is commonly used in calculus and analysis to show that a series or function is approaching a certain value as its inputs approach a specific point.

2. How does the "U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon" proof work?

The proof works by dividing the input range into smaller and smaller intervals, which creates a partition. Then, the upper and lower sums are calculated for each partition. By taking the limit as the partition becomes infinitely small, the difference between the upper and lower sums approaches zero, indicating that the limit exists and is equal to the common value of the upper and lower sums.

3. What is the significance of the epsilon value in the "U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon" proof?

The epsilon value represents the desired accuracy or precision of the limit. It is used to ensure that the upper and lower sums are approaching each other within a small margin of error. The smaller the epsilon value, the closer the limit is to the true value.

4. Can the "U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon" proof be used for any function or sequence?

Yes, the proof can be used for any function or sequence as long as it satisfies certain conditions, such as being bounded and continuous. These conditions ensure that the limit exists and can be approximated using the "U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon" proof.

5. Are there any limitations to the "U(f,P) - L(f,P) < epsilon" proof?

One limitation of the proof is that it only shows the existence of the limit, but it does not provide a method for finding the exact value of the limit. It also requires a significant amount of mathematical knowledge and skill to apply it correctly, making it less accessible to those without a strong background in calculus and analysis.