Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: U-substitution problem

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1~~0 (x^7)/sqrt(4-3x^16) dx

3. The attempt at a solution

There really isn't one. I am as clueless as one can get in calculus. I know that I am supposed to substitute the variable "u" in for a section of this problem, but really don't know anything after that. I understand derivatives but that is about it. If someone could walk me through this problem it'd be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know that when you make a u substitution, you need the du to be in the integral. You have x7 sitting there. What u might give you an x7 in the du? Think about that.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    7x^6???

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you are just guessing. If you want to get x7 in the answer for du, what must u be? You got x6 in your answer, not x7. C'mon, you can do better than that.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. Oct 18, 2011 #5
    I told you I don't know much about calculus...so just saying "come on" isn't going to magically help me get the answer.

Is u x^7? Or 4-3x^16?

7. Oct 18, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If you honestly have no idea what to do, even with LCKurtz's very good hint, there isn't a lot we can do for you. You really need to talk to your teacher about this kind of problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook