1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U-Substitution with du=0

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to prove that the length of a helix can be represented by [itex]2\pi=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the following so far:

If the helix can be represented by [itex]h(t)=a\cdot cos(t)+a\cdot sin(t)+b(t)[/itex]

Then the length is:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{(-a\cdot sin(t))^2+(a\cdot cos(t))^2+b^2}\;\: dt[/tex]

My problem comes when integrating this. If I use the stuff in the root as u and do u-substitution, then du equals 0dt:

[tex]u=a^2sin^(t)+a^2cos^2(t)+b^2[/tex]
    [tex]du=(a^2sin(2t)-a^2sin(2t))dt=0dt[/tex]

My logic fails me when figuring out how to continue from there. I need to somehow represent 1dt. How do I do this?

Help would be awesome!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your du comes out to be zero, then u must be a constant. What constant is it? Use some trig to simplify your u.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3

gb7nash

Homework Helper

You don't need u-substitution for this problem. Here's why:

Before you try taking the integral, inside the square root, you have a2sin2t + a2cos2t. Factor the a2 out of both of them. What happens?

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4
    Yep, was definitely over-thinking it. Thanks guys :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook