Solving Int w/ u-Substitution: $\int \frac{1}{\sin x}dx$

• Thread starter Zhalfirin88
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to solve a du/u problem involving the ln function, but they are having difficulty. They have tried substitution after substitution but have not gotten very far. They have also tried rewriting the problem in terms of trig identities but have not found a solution. Finally, they have been helped by a friend and now understand how to solve the problem.
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

Solve using u-substitution.

[tex] \int \frac{1}{sin x} dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked up the integral answer and I can see the connection of the csc, but I don't know how to get this to be du/u for the ln function.

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked up the integral answer and I can see the connection of the csc, but I don't know how to get this to be du/u for the ln function.

That's the last thing you should do when solving problems as it defeats the purpose of learning via solving problems.

There is no need to get things right after just one substitution. You can do substitution after substituton as many times you like. So why not start with putting sin(x) = u and see what you get first?

Count Iblis said:
That's the last thing you should do when solving problems as it defeats the purpose of learning via solving problems.

There is no need to get things right after just one substitution. You can do substitution after substituton as many times you like. So why not start with putting sin(x) = u and see what you get first?

I already did all that, it's just too much to list. I tried u = sin x at first but didn't get very far. Then I thought that since the sin is on the bottom I could try cos x since -sin is derivative of cos but didn't get very far again. Then I tried rewriting 1/sin x using trig identities but I couldn't find any that would help. (:

EDIT: I have a question though. When I was doing u = sin x, du = cos x dx. So would this be correct?

[tex] \int \frac{1}{u}cos x dx [/tex]

[tex] csc x \int \frac{du}{u} [/tex]

[tex] csc x \ln sin x [/tex]

Last edited:
Let's start again then. If you put

sin(x) = u

you get:

dx/sin(x) = du/u 1/sqrt(1-u^2)

(up to a plus/minus sign which can be ignored for the moment). Do you agree?

Edit, I see your latest edit now. You have to express cos(x) in terms of u.

I'm not following what you have written there, particularly I don't see where you're getting 1/sqrt(1-u^2) from. Isn't that a derivative of the arcsin?

If you put

sin(x) = u

then

x = arcsin(u)

and thus:

dx = dx/du du = 1/sqrt(1-u^2) du

You can also say that:

sin(x) = u ------->

d[sin(x)] = du -------->

cos(x) dx = du ---------->

dx = 1/cos(x) du = 1/sqrt[1-sin^2(x)] du = 1/sqrt(1-u^2) du

So, we have:

dx/sin(x) = 1/u 1/sqrt(1-u^2) du

Ok, what's the next step?

edit: would you integrate after that? it looks like you'd have the natural log of a mess :P

Put u = 1/v. The idea is that the du/u part remains the same (up to a sign)

du = -1/v^2 dv

1/u = v

du/u = -1/v dv

but

1/sqrt(1-u2)

becomes

1/sqrt(1-1/v^2)

so, you can bring the v in the denominator inside the square root and end up with something simple.

gotcha, thanks

What is u-substitution and how does it relate to solving integrals?

U-substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify the process of solving integrals. It involves substituting a new variable, u, for a complicated expression within the integral. This allows for a simpler integral to be solved and then the final answer is converted back to the original variable.

Why is u-substitution commonly used for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions?

U-substitution is commonly used for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions because it is a more efficient and accurate method compared to other techniques. Trigonometric functions often have complex expressions within the integral, making it difficult to solve without u-substitution.

What are the general steps for using u-substitution to solve an integral?

The general steps for using u-substitution to solve an integral are as follows:1. Identify a function within the integral that can be simplified by using a substitution.2. Substitute the function with a new variable, u.3. Find the derivative of u, du/dx.4. Rewrite the integral in terms of u, using du/dx.5. Solve the simpler integral in terms of u.6. Convert the final answer back to the original variable.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when using u-substitution to solve an integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using u-substitution to solve an integral include:- Forgetting to find the derivative of u, du/dx.- Not substituting all instances of the original variable with u.- Using the wrong limits of integration when converting back to the original variable.

Can u-substitution be used for any type of integral?

No, u-substitution can only be used for certain types of integrals where the substitution of u can simplify the integral. It is not a universal method for solving all integrals.