U-tube filled with water and inmiscible liquid

In summary, the U-tube problem has a typo in the problem statement, and the solution ends up being the incorrect density because the atmosphere cancels out the difference in pressure.
xannaxiero

Homework Statement

A U-shaped tube is partly filled with water and partly filled with a liquid that does not mix with water. Both sides of the tube are open to the atmosphere. If h1 = 0.52 m and h2 = 0.16 m, what is the density of the liquid?

Homework Equations

ρ[itex]_{u}[/itex]=h[itex]_{1}[/itex]/h[itex]_{2}[/itex] * ρ[itex]_{k}[/itex]

as in: unknown density = ratio of heights times known density

ρ[itex]_{k}[/itex]= density of water = 1 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL

The Attempt at a Solution

so I just plugged the info in, seems relatively simple...
ended up with

ρ[itex]_{u}[/itex]= 52 cm/16 cm * 1 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL = 3.25 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL

but for some reason this is wrong.

just for kicks I also tried
ρ[itex]_{u}[/itex]= 16 cm/52 cm * 1 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL = .31 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL

but this is also wrong.

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
xannaxiero said:

Homework Statement

A U-shaped tube is partly filled with water and partly filled with a liquid that does not mix with water. Both sides of the tube are open to the atmosphere. If h1 = 0.52 m and h2 = 0.16 m, what is the density of the liquid?

Homework Equations

ρ[itex]_{u}[/itex]=h[itex]_{1}[/itex]/h[itex]_{2}[/itex] * ρ[itex]_{k}[/itex]

as in: unknown density = ratio of heights times known density

ρ[itex]_{k}[/itex]= density of water = 1 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL

The Attempt at a Solution

so I just plugged the info in, seems relatively simple...
ended up with

ρ[itex]_{u}[/itex]= 52 cm/16 cm * 1 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL = 3.25 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL

but for some reason this is wrong.

just for kicks I also tried
ρ[itex]_{u}[/itex]= 16 cm/52 cm * 1 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL = .31 cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]/mL

but this is also wrong.

any ideas?

Hi xannaxiero, welcome to PF! :smile:

Your unit for density is wrong.
It's not cm3/mL.

Btw, your formula assumes that the separation of the fluids is at the bottom of the U-tube.
I guess you have to make that assumption, because otherwise you do not have enough data.

Oops you're right, I'm sleepy >.< Its g/mL. My bad. That doesn't make any difference in the equation though does it? And yes, I'm assuming separation is in the bottom...this is supposed to be a pretty simple, standard u-tube problem, no tricks...

Beyond that, your answers are right.
Why do you think they are wrong?

Online homework...they're being graded as incorrect :'(

Oh those!
That usually means you did not follow the format that they expected.

Try rounding to 2 digits (since your input data is 2 digits each).
And try the unit kg/L or perhaps kg/m3 (adjusting of course the result to match).

The answer ended up being .563 g/mL. Any idea why this is? There's no explanation with the homework :(

Nope. No idea.

I can only guess that there is a typo in the problem statement, or that there is more information that is not given.

Do you think it could be because the tube is open to the atmosphere? Would that impact my formula at all?

No, the atmosphere gives the same pressure of 1 atmosphere on both tubes.
It cancels out.

It would matter if the tubes had different diameters, or if the separation is not at the bottom.

What is a U-tube filled with water and inmiscible liquid?

A U-tube filled with water and inmiscible liquid is a scientific apparatus used to demonstrate the principle of density and the behavior of immiscible liquids. The U-tube consists of a long, narrow tube bent into a U shape, with one side filled with water and the other side filled with a different liquid that does not mix with water, such as oil or alcohol.

How does a U-tube filled with water and inmiscible liquid work?

The U-tube works by showing the difference in density between the two liquids. The denser liquid will sink to the bottom of the U-tube, while the less dense liquid will rise to the top. This creates a clear separation between the two liquids, with the denser liquid at the bottom and the less dense liquid at the top.

What is the purpose of a U-tube filled with water and inmiscible liquid?

The U-tube is commonly used in science classrooms and laboratories to demonstrate the concept of density and the behavior of immiscible liquids. It is also used to measure the relative density of different liquids and to study the effects of temperature and pressure on the densities of liquids.

Can any two liquids be used in a U-tube experiment?

No, only liquids that are immiscible can be used in a U-tube experiment. Immiscible liquids are those that do not mix together and form distinct layers when combined. Examples of immiscible liquids include oil and water, alcohol and water, and vinegar and oil.

Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a U-tube filled with water and inmiscible liquid?

Yes, it is important to handle the U-tube with care, as it is made of glass and can break easily. Also, make sure to use liquids that are safe and non-toxic for the experiment. When disposing of the liquids, be sure to follow proper waste disposal guidelines for each type of liquid used.