U-Tube Manometer: What is the Difference in Pressure Between Points B and A?

In summary: However, this difference would be due to atmospheric pressure, not the difference in pressure between the fluids in the tubes.
Doubell

Homework Statement

An inverted U-tube monometer, as shown in Figure attached , has air at the top of the tube.
If the pipes contain oil (s.g. = 0.9), h1= 0.6 m, h2= 1.8 m and h= 0.45 m, determine
the difference in pressure between point B and point A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for my analysis i dedicded to use the equation defining the pressures from point a to be as :
Pa - (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m)- (101325Pa) +((0.6m+1.8m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) = Pb =
which implied (Pa-Pb) = (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m) + 101325Pa - ((0.6m+1.8m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) = 133109.4Pa = 133Kpa. [/B]

the thing about the solution is i think atmospheric pressure of 101325Pa can be used as 0 gauge. which would define the equation as Pa - (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m) +((0.6m+1.8m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) = Pb.

also Could an analysis just be made from point A to point D then this pressure just equated to the pressure from ( Pb to point D ) excluding atmospheric pressure term (101325) and the term ((0.45m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) since the fluid at these points are at the same horizontal height so equal pressure.

that is Pa - (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m)= Pb -(900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*1.8m).
verification of the right analysis would be appreciated as I am a bit confused which is the most suited approach.

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 989
  • question.jpg
    question.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 560
Physics news on Phys.org
Doubell said:

Homework Statement

An inverted U-tube monometer, as shown in Figure attached , has air at the top of the tube.
If the pipes contain oil (s.g. = 0.9), h1= 0.6 m, h2= 1.8 m and h= 0.45 m, determine
the difference in pressure between point B and point A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for my analysis i dedicded to use the equation defining the pressures from point a to be as :
Pa - (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m)- (101325Pa) +((0.6m+1.8m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) = Pb =
which implied (Pa-Pb) = (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m) + 101325Pa - ((0.6m+1.8m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) = 133109.4Pa = 133Kpa.[/B]

Where in the problem statement does it say that the air pressure is atmospheric? It could just as easily be some other pressure. Also, your equation implies that the pressure difference between points D and E is atmospheric. This certainly wouldn't be the case. So this answer is incorrect.
the thing about the solution is i think atmospheric pressure of 101325Pa can be used as 0 gauge. which would define the equation as Pa - (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m) +((0.6m+1.8m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) = Pb.

This equation is correct, but for the wrong reason. The implication of the problem statement is that the air is much less dense than the fluid in the manometer, so it can be neglected in the hydrostatic equilibrium balance.
also Could an analysis just be made from point A to point D then this pressure just equated to the pressure from ( Pb to point D ) excluding atmospheric pressure term (101325) and the term ((0.45m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) since the fluid at these points are at the same horizontal height so equal pressure.

that is Pa - (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m)= Pb -(900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*1.8m).
verification of the right analysis would be appreciated as I am a bit confused which is the most suited approach.
This approach is incorrect because of the assumption that fluid at the same horizontal heights implies equal pressures. This is only true if the bodies of fluid are directly connected to one another.

The easiest way to do this problem is to integrate vertically on each side of the manometer, starting both from A and B, and determine the air pressure, as reckoned from each side. Then set the two values of the air pressure equal to one another.

Chet

after re looking at the image in the problem statement i saw the indication ( air pressure , 'p'). so i guess instead of atmospheric pressure , the pressure P should be the variable in the equation. Pa - (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m)- (P )+((0.6m+1.8m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) = Pb . i would now have a variable pressure P which i think would make it difficult to obtain a numerical solution. what's ur take on this other approach.

Doubell said:
after re looking at the image in the problem statement i saw the indication ( air pressure , 'p'). so i guess instead of atmospheric pressure , the pressure P should be the variable in the equation. Pa - (900kg/m3*9.81m/s2*0.6m)- (P )+((0.6m+1.8m)*9.81m/2*900kg/m3)) = Pb . i would now have a variable pressure P which i think would make it difficult to obtain a numerical solution. what's ur take on this other approach.
As I said, because the air density is low, the pressure of the air is constant in the u tube (independent of location). Your equation implies that there is a difference in air pressure of P between points D and E.

Chet

What is a U tube manometer?

A U tube manometer is a device used to measure pressure differences between two points in a fluid, typically a gas or liquid. It consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, such as water or mercury, and is often used in experiments and industrial applications.

How does a U tube manometer work?

A U tube manometer works by measuring the difference in fluid levels between the two arms of the U-shaped tube. The fluid on one side is connected to the point where pressure is being measured, and the other side is open to the atmosphere. The difference in fluid levels corresponds to the pressure difference between the two points.

What are the advantages of using a U tube manometer?

U tube manometers are simple and easy to use, have a wide range of measurement capabilities, and can measure both positive and negative pressures. They also do not require any external power source, making them inexpensive and reliable for pressure measurements.

How do you read a U tube manometer?

To read a U tube manometer, the levels of the fluid on each side of the tube must be compared. The difference in height between the two levels represents the pressure difference being measured. The fluid levels can be read using a scale or by measuring the distance between the levels directly.

What are the common applications of a U tube manometer?

U tube manometers have a wide range of applications, including measuring pressure in pipes and tanks, monitoring air flow in ventilation systems, and testing the efficiency of pumps and compressors. They are also commonly used in laboratory experiments and in industrial settings for quality control and safety purposes.