U,v,w a spanning set for V?

• Thread starter negation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, a spanning set for V is a set of vectors that can be used to create any vector in the vector space V through linear combinations. It is important for a spanning set to be linearly independent in order to ensure a unique representation of each vector and avoid redundancy. To determine if a set of vectors is a spanning set for V, one can check if each vector in V can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. It is possible for a spanning set for V to contain more vectors than the dimension of V, but this may not be the most efficient or effective spanning set. To find a spanning set for a given vector space V, one can use basis construction techniques such as Gaussian elimination or Gram-S
negation

Homework Statement

In R2 let

u = (4, -2), v = (8, 5), w = (4, 1).

a)Is the set {u, v, w} a spanning set for R2?
b) Are the vectors u, v linearly independent?
c) Are the vectors u, v, w linearly independent?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) u, v and w is a spanning set for the vector space R2 iff every vector in R2 can be expressed as a linear combination of the vectors in {u,v,w}. In other words, and if my defintion is correct, if a vector space V spans set A of vectors, then the set A of vector is a spanning for the vector space V.

(x,y) = λ1(4,-2) + λ2(8,5) + λ3(4,1)
4λ1 + 8λ2 + 4λ3 = x
-2λ1 +5λ2 + λ3 = y

In augmented matrix:

4 8 4 | x
-2 5 1 | y

R2<- R2 +0.5R1

4 8 4 | x
0 9 3 | y + x/2

There is one free variable λ3-so, 1 parameter.
There are 2 pivots and, therefore, dimension, 2.
u, v, and, w are spanning sets for R2.b) u, v are linearly independent iff span {u,v} = 0 where λ1=λ2= 0.4 8 | 0
0 9 | 0

9λ2 = 0
λ2 = 0
4λ1 + 8(0) = 0
λ1 = 0

since λ1 = λ2 = 0, u and v are linearly independent.

c) (0,0) = λ1 ( 4,-2) + λ2 ( 8,5) + λ3 (4,1)

4 8 4 | 0
-2 5 1 | 0

...RREF

4 8 4 | 0
0 9 3 | 0

λ3 = free variables
The corollary from this is that there are infinite solutions. From this, it can be deduced that the solution is non-trivial, and therefore, u,v and w is not linearly independent. I'm making this conclusion based on the definition that for a system of linear equation to be linearly independent, it must be the case that the only solution is such that λ1=λ2=...=λn=0 but infinite solution implies that the solutions are either non-trivial or that a trivial solution is only one of the many infinite possible solutions. (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong)

The computer system states my answer to be correct. However, I would appreciate if my conclusion in part (c) is correct or a fluke.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't look closely at what you did, but there is a much simpler way to do this. Note that:

Two vectors are linearly dependent iff one is a multiple of the other

Any two linearly independent vectors will span R2

No three vectors can be linearly independent in R2.

PeroK said:
I didn't look closely at what you did, but there is a much simpler way to do this. Note that:

Two vectors are linearly dependent iff one is a multiple of the other

Any two linearly independent vectors will span R2

No three vectors can be linearly independent in R2.

Hi, I have reedited my entire OP.

negation said:

Homework Statement

In R2 let

u = (4, -2), v = (8, 5), w = (4, 1).

a)Is the set {u, v, w} a spanning set for R2?
b) Are the vectors u, v linearly independent?
c) Are the vectors u, v, w linearly independent?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) u, v and w is a spanning set for the vector space R2 iff every vector in R2 can be expressed as a linear combination of the vectors in {u,v,w}. In other words, and if my defintion is correct,
Yes, your definition is correct.
if a vector space V spans set A of vectors, then the set A of vector is a spanning for the vector space V.

(x,y) = λ1(4,-2) + λ2(8,5) + λ3(4,1)
4λ1 + 8λ2 + 4λ3 = x
-2λ1 +5λ2 + λ3 = y

In augmented matrix:

4 8 4 | x
-2 5 1 | y

R2<- R2 +0.5R1

4 8 4 | x
0 9 3 | y + x/2

There is one free variable λ3-so, 1 parameter.
There are 2 pivots and, therefore, dimension, 2.
More fundamentally, if we multiply -2λ1+ 4λ2+ λ3= y by 2 and add it to 4λ1+ 8λ2+ 4λ3= x, we get 16λ2+ 6λ3= x+ 2y. Take λ2= 0 and we have 6λ3= x+ 2y so λ3= (x+ 2y)/6 and then -2λ1+ (x+ 2y)/6= y or λ1= (4y- x)/6. Since we can find λ1, λ2, λ3 for any x, y, yes, it spans R2.

u, v, and, w are spanning sets for R2.
u, v, and w are NOT sets. {u, v, w} is a spanning set for R2.

b) u, v are linearly independent iff span {u,v} = 0 where λ1=λ2= 0.
That is not well stated. The "span {u,v}" consists of all λ1u+ λ2v. That span is NOT "0".
You mean "if λ1u+ λ2v= 0 then λ1= λ2= 0"
4 8 | 0
0 9 | 0

9λ2 = 0
λ2 = 0
4λ1 + 8(0) = 0
λ1 = 0

since λ1 = λ2 = 0, u and v are linearly independent.
Yes, that is correct.

c) (0,0) = λ1 ( 4,-2) + λ2 ( 8,5) + λ3 (4,1)

4 8 4 | 0
-2 5 1 | 0

...RREF

4 8 4 | 0
0 9 3 | 0

λ3 = free variables
The corollary from this is that there are infinite solutions. From this, it can be deduced that the solution is non-trivial, and therefore, u,v and w is not linearly independent. I'm making this conclusion based on the definition that for a system of linear equation to be linearly independent, it must be the case that the only solution is such that λ1=λ2=...=λn=0 but infinite solution implies that the solutions are either non-trivial or that a trivial solution is only one of the many infinite possible solutions. (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong)

The computer system states my answer to be correct. However, I would appreciate if my conclusion in part (c) is correct or a fluke.
Your answer to (c) is completely correct. If λ1u+ λ2v+ λ3w= 0 then
λ1(4,-2)+ λ2(8, 5)+ λ3(4, 1)= (0, 0)
(4λ1+ 8λ2+ 3λ3, -2λ1+ 5λ2+ λ3)= (0, 0)
4λ1+ 8λ2+ 3λ3= 0, -2λ1+ 5λ2+ λ3= 0

Multiply the second equation by 2 and add to the first equation: 18λ2+ 5λ3= 0 so if you take λ1= 0, λ2= 5 and λ3= -18 you have non-zero coefficients that make the linear combination 0. The set of vectors is NOT independent.

1. What is a spanning set for V?

A spanning set for V is a set of vectors that can be used to create any vector in the vector space V through linear combinations. In other words, every vector in V can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the spanning set.

2. Why is it important for a spanning set to be linearly independent?

A linearly independent spanning set ensures that there is only one way to write each vector in the vector space V as a linear combination of the spanning set. This is important because it allows for a unique representation of each vector and avoids redundancy in the spanning set.

3. How can I determine if a set of vectors is a spanning set for V?

To determine if a set of vectors is a spanning set for V, you can check if each vector in V can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. If it is possible to do so, then the set is a spanning set for V. Additionally, if the set is linearly independent and contains the same number of vectors as the dimension of V, then it is also a spanning set for V.

4. Can a spanning set for V contain more vectors than the dimension of V?

Yes, a spanning set for V can contain more vectors than the dimension of V. However, if the spanning set contains more vectors than the dimension of V, then it is not guaranteed to be linearly independent. In this case, the set may still be a spanning set for V, but it may not be the most efficient or effective spanning set.

5. How do I find a spanning set for a given vector space V?

Finding a spanning set for a given vector space V can be done through a process called basis construction. This involves finding a set of linearly independent vectors that span V, which can be done through techniques such as Gaussian elimination or Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization. Alternatively, if a basis for V is known, all of the basis vectors make up a spanning set for V.