Finding Units of Z[x]: Multiplicative Inverses or Identity?

• Thread starter 1800bigk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, U(Z[x]) means to find all elements of Z[x] with a multiplicative inverse. There are only two polynomials in U(Z[x]), f(x)=1 and f(x)= -1. contradiction would be the best way to find an inverse for a polynomial, but starting with a literal translation of what you said might work as well.
1800bigk
Hi, I have to find the units of Z[x]. I am little unclear and my book does not go into detail. Does U(Z[x]) mean I need to find every polynomial with integer cooefficients that has a multiplicative inverse? or do I have to find the multiplicative identity? I was thinking about both cases and the number of polynomials with a multiplicative inverse is pretty limited, isn't it? f(x)=1 or f(x)=-1. As for inverses of polynomials, there would be none because if you multiply a polynomial with x by another polynomial with x then the powers of x get bigger.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I have to find the units of Z[x]. I am little unclear and my book does not go into detail. Does U(Z[x]) mean I need to find every polynomial with integer cooefficients that has a multiplicative inverse?
It means to find all elements of Z[x] with a multiplicative inverse. (That's what it means to be a unit)

As for inverses of polynomials, there would be none because if you multiply a polynomial with x by another polynomial with x then the powers of x get bigger.
That sounds plausible... can you work it into a rigorous proof?

am I right about f(x)=1 and f(x)= -1 being the only polynomial in U(Z[x]) or is there more? would contradiction be the best way, how would I start it?

tia

am I right about f(x)=1 and f(x)= -1 being the only polynomial in U(Z[x])
I generally hate answering this question. Learning how and when to be confident in your own work is important! But yes, you are correct.

would contradiction be the best way, how would I start it?
There are lots of ways. I would suggest starting with a literal translation of what you said:

If p(x) and q(x) are nonconstant, then p(x)*q(x) is nonconstant.

(Actually, you made a stronger statement, but I don't want to spoil figuring out how to translate that!)

And see if you can prove this statement and relate it to inverses.

Last edited:
ok thanks!

1. What is the definition of units in Z[x]?

Units in Z[x] are elements that have a multiplicative inverse in the polynomial ring Z[x]. They can be multiplied by other elements to get the identity element 1.

2. How do you determine if a polynomial is a unit in Z[x]?

A polynomial in Z[x] is a unit if and only if its constant term is a unit in Z, meaning it is either 1 or -1. This is because the only elements with multiplicative inverses in Z are 1 and -1.

3. Can a polynomial with non-integer coefficients be a unit in Z[x]?

No, in Z[x], the coefficients of polynomials must be integers. Therefore, a polynomial with non-integer coefficients cannot be a unit in Z[x].

4. What is the difference between a unit and an associate in Z[x]?

A unit in Z[x] is a polynomial that has a multiplicative inverse, while an associate is a polynomial that can be obtained by multiplying a unit with another polynomial. In other words, they are equivalent up to multiplication by a unit.

5. How can understanding units in Z[x] be useful in solving polynomial equations?

Understanding units in Z[x] can help in simplifying polynomial equations and finding solutions. By factoring out units, we can reduce the number of potential solutions to a polynomial equation and make it easier to solve.