1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UART timer

1. Sep 24, 2006 #1
    This is a UART problem, we need to design a counter for the receiver unit. And the specs go like this:
    system clock is 20 MHz, while data arival frequency is 2MHz, also I need to assert a STOP_RECEIVING signal once all data is received. And of course, data has a start bit and a stop bit. And assume that there is a signal saying start bit detected. Also after a bit is received, I need to assert a strobe signal, i.e. for each bit. Data arrives asynchronously but is synchronized using 2 FFs.

So, here's my thinking thread:
    it will take 10 system clock cycles to get through the start bit and 5 cycles to sample the first bit. After that i need to count only 10 cycles to sample the following bit, and I need to count the bits received.
    I think i get the idea..... BUT i run into problems with implemeting it..... i can count the clock cycles .... state machine basically.... then i reset the counter..... but how would I count the bits? An embedded state machine sounds too much....
    if someone could walk me through the high-level part of this, i would really appreciate it...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can embed a synchronous counter block in your circuit. Check out the description of synchronous counters in your textbook, or at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?