Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ubaid Figurine

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    This figurine was found in Iraq, to me looks like ancient visitor from outerspace?Really strange.
    Archeologists think it was made in 5900-4000 BCE even before Sumerians.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is common for masks to resemble animals and mythical figures. I do find some artifacts interesting.

btw, sorry it took so long to approve the attachment. I thought I had done so.

4. Sep 4, 2004 #3
    You are correct,I forgot about Egyptians and Hinduism..But please IvanSeeking could you tell me which artifacts do you find interesting?

5. Sep 4, 2004 #4
    I don't know if I can paste an image in here, but this Ubaid figurine of a female nursing, seems to have a tattoo of the Pleiades on one shoulder, and the babe in arms, has a very other-human head, the individuals are also six fingered, except for this female, who has what looks to be a webbed hand. I will post a link, I have to find the museum again. Images number 2 and 3 in the second group of images, depict the female nursing, and the six-fingered individual underneath. In studying art history, or archaeology, apparently the assumption is made that the makers of objects like this were just bad artists. Other conjectures are that these are dream figures, or ceremonial or mythical figures. If you go with, that these are just snapshots of what these people looked like, then it is obvious that they aren't from around here. The Pleiades on her shoulder, that is a giveaway of some sort.

http://www.hp.uab.edu/image_archive/ue/uea.html

6. Sep 4, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would have to look and find some examples that I have seen over the years. I think some of the most striking examples are found in the old S. American cultures. In fact, when I visited Peru some years ago I was amazed to learn that a belief in ET and his long and continued presense there, is common.

7. Sep 4, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, I think the figure that you posted is interesting but I don't know anything about it. The symbolism may be completely understood. Of course, you never really know about those mythical beings of old. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?