Can Ubuntu Run Efficiently on an External SSD?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ssd Ubuntu
It depends on the transfer speeds of the specific ports and the type of SSD being used. It is recommended to do some research on the specific hardware being used to determine the potential speed differences.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Can I boot Ubuntu from a portable SSD on a computer, say a laptop? If I run ubuntu from a portable SSD plugged into a usb drive, will it run slow? We have this old computer in my lab, but it's Windows and runs Ubuntu from a VM, so super slow and awful memory. Or should I just buy another SSD, plug it into the motherboard, and go from there? What do you recommend?

Computer science news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Can I boot Ubuntu from a portable SSD on a computer, say a laptop?
Yes.
joshmccraney said:
If I run ubuntu from a portable SSD plugged into a usb drive, will it run slow?
Maybe. How slow is slow?
joshmccraney said:
Or should I just buy another SSD, plug it into the motherboard, and go from there?
That will work too.

Likes member 428835
Vanadium 50 said:
Yes.

Maybe. How slow is slow?

That will work too.
How slow? I was thinking about using an M.2 SSD with 3400 megabytes/s. I was thinking of mounting to an external mount: M.2 NVME SSD enclosure adapter USB C 3.1 Gen 2 at 10 Gbps, 6 Gbps SATA PCIe. So this SSD mounted externally to this enclosure. I'd be running simulations that can take a few days. Does anything scream "no don't do it" to you?

I installed Centos on a USB 3 key. It took ~10x longer to install on it than on a USB 2 spinning disk. Running felt about the same as on the spinning disk. I eventually went with an internal SATA 3 SSD (a $10 bargain basement deal from Microcenter) which was faster than both and entirely acceptable.

My home area is on a remote server.

Likes member 428835
joshmccraney said:
Can I boot Ubuntu from a portable SSD on a computer, say a laptop?
Probably; you may need to update the BIOS on an old machine.

joshmccraney said:
If I run ubuntu from a portable SSD plugged into a usb drive, will it run slow?
Yes, particularly if the laptop does not have a USB 3 port.

joshmccraney said:
Or should I just buy another SSD, plug it into the motherboard, and go from there? What do you recommend?
This. You will get much better performance from a bog-standard SATA internal SSD (which is all an old laptop is likely to support) than an external M2 device over USB, and the setup will also be cheaper and more convenient.

I've just realized you said plug it into the motherboard. Does this laptop have an M2 port on the mobo? It is not that old then, and an internally mounted M2 drive will blow anything external out of the water.

If it doesn't have an M2 mobo you will instead be replacing the existing spinner installed in the SATA drive bay.

pbuk said:
Probably; you may need to update the BIOS on an old machine.Yes, particularly if the laptop does not have a USB 3 port.This. You will get much better performance from a bog-standard SATA internal SSD (which is all an old laptop is likely to support) than an external M2 device over USB, and the setup will also be cheaper and more convenient.

I've just realized you said plug it into the motherboard. Does this laptop have an M2 port on the mobo? It is not that old then, and an internally mounted M2 drive will blow anything external out of the water.

If it doesn't have an M2 mobo you will instead be replacing the existing spinner installed in the SATA drive bay.
The laptop is a mac, which I don't like tinkering with. I was going to add another SSD to the mobo of a desktop, but then I have to remote access. I think the better option might be to plug an external SSD into the mac and let it do its thing. Would the external SSD run substantially slower when going through a USB-c, thunderbolt, or USB3.0?

joshmccraney said:
Would the external SSD run substantially slower when going through a USB-c, thunderbolt, or USB3.0?
Maybe.

1. What is the difference between an old version of Ubuntu and a newer version when it comes to using an SSD?

An old version of Ubuntu may not have optimized features for SSDs, such as TRIM support or wear-leveling algorithms. Newer versions often have these features built-in, resulting in better performance and longevity for SSDs.

2. Can I use an old version of Ubuntu with an SSD?

Yes, you can use an old version of Ubuntu with an SSD. However, you may not get the full benefits and performance that a newer version offers for SSDs.

3. Will using an old version of Ubuntu on an SSD affect its lifespan?

It is possible that using an old version of Ubuntu on an SSD could affect its lifespan, as older versions may not have optimized features to prolong the life of the SSD. It is recommended to use a newer version of Ubuntu for better SSD performance and longevity.

4. How do I check if TRIM is enabled on my old version of Ubuntu with an SSD?

To check if TRIM is enabled on an old version of Ubuntu, you can use the command: sudo systemctl status fstrim.timer. If the output shows that the timer is active, then TRIM is enabled. Otherwise, you may need to manually enable it through the terminal.

5. Can I upgrade my old version of Ubuntu to a newer version without losing data on my SSD?

Yes, you can upgrade your old version of Ubuntu to a newer version without losing data on your SSD. However, it is always recommended to back up important data before performing any system upgrades.