EE Student: Ubuntu or Debian - What to Choose?

• Thread starter SuperMiguel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Ubuntu
In summary, it doesn't really matter which operating system an ee student uses. Nearly everything installable on one is also installable on the other.
SuperMiguel
Im an EE student, should it run Ubuntu or Debian ??

Computer science news on Phys.org
It doesn't really matter, nearly everything installable on one is also installable on the other. In fact, I've only seen one example of an application that could run on one, but not the other, and it was an IDE, and therefore, irrelevant to you.

Have you used Linux before? If not, Ubuntu.

TylerH said:
It doesn't really matter, nearly everything installable on one is also installable on the other. In fact, I've only seen one example of an application that could run on one, but not the other, and it was an IDE, and therefore, irrelevant to you.

Have you used Linux before? If not, Ubuntu.

ya been a gentoo user for a while, but gentoo is becoming a pain in the a** having to do everything manually, so just wondering which would be better
For an ee student deb or ubuntu

Either, since it's the apps not the OS itself that contribute to it's usability for a given purpose.

That said, is there a reason you've not mentioned Fedora? Sometimes it can be hard to choose the right app(I've tried 3 for circuit design.). As I'm sure you know, usually, there's a lot of crappy ones that are all trying to be like the one good one. Fedora has an interesting fix for this, they have what are called spins, which bundle the best apps for a given purpose. I think one of their spins may interest you: http://spins.fedoraproject.org/fel/

Last edited by a moderator:
Umnn never tough about fedora

Last edited:
any student?

I'm agreeing with everyone else: the different distros are more or less interchangeable, specially since ubuntu is http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntu-and-debian. Since you're sick of doing things manually, ubuntu would probably be better 'cause Canonical tends to keep the repos pretty up to date. Otherwise, choose whichever one your department uses or better yet whichever your lab uses (if you're doing research.)

Last edited:
To add to what story said: I assumed it was understood, just in case I'll go ahead and throw it out there. They literally use the same package system. A Debian package can be installed on Ubuntu and vice versa. The ONLY exception to this that I know of is Code::Blocks 10 which uses a version of wxWidgets incompatible with Ubuntu's version. And it may have been fixed by now, idk.

TylerH said:
The ONLY exception to this that I know of is Code::Blocks 10 which uses a version of wxWidgets incompatible with Ubuntu's version. And it may have been fixed by now, idk.
Or you can just install wxWidgets from source and call it a day.

story645 said:
Or you can just install wxWidgets from source and call it a day.

Not if you're tired of doing it the manual way. :tongue:

TylerH said:
Not if you're tired of doing it the manual way. :tongue:

:) :tongue:

1. What is the difference between Ubuntu and Debian?

Ubuntu and Debian are both Linux-based operating systems. However, Ubuntu is based on the Debian system and is designed to be more user-friendly and accessible for beginners. Debian, on the other hand, is known for its stability and reliability, making it a popular choice for servers and advanced users.

2. Which one is better for a computer science or engineering student?

Both Ubuntu and Debian are suitable options for computer science or engineering students. It ultimately depends on personal preference and what specific tools and software the student will need for their studies. Ubuntu may be a better choice for beginners, while Debian may be better for more advanced users.

3. Can I switch from Ubuntu to Debian (or vice versa) easily?

Yes, it is possible to switch from Ubuntu to Debian or vice versa. However, it is not a simple process and may require some technical knowledge. It is recommended to do thorough research and back up important files before attempting to switch operating systems.

4. Are there any major differences in terms of software and applications available?

Both Ubuntu and Debian have a wide range of software and applications available for download. However, Ubuntu generally has a larger community and therefore may have more support and a larger variety of software options. Debian, on the other hand, has a more strict open-source policy, meaning some proprietary software may not be available.

5. Which one is more secure?

Both Ubuntu and Debian are known for their security features. However, Debian may be considered slightly more secure as it has a strict open-source policy and a longer testing period for updates. Ubuntu, on the other hand, may be more user-friendly and have more frequent updates for security patches.