Ubuntu vs Debian EE

Main Question or Discussion Point

Im an EE student, should it run Ubuntu or Debian ??

Answers and Replies

It doesn't really matter, nearly everything installable on one is also installable on the other. In fact, I've only seen one example of an application that could run on one, but not the other, and it was an IDE, and therefore, irrelevant to you.

Have you used Linux before? If not, Ubuntu.

It doesn't really matter, nearly everything installable on one is also installable on the other. In fact, I've only seen one example of an application that could run on one, but not the other, and it was an IDE, and therefore, irrelevant to you.

Have you used Linux before? If not, Ubuntu.
ya been a gentoo user for a while, but gentoo is becoming a pain in the a** having to do everything manually, so just wondering which would be better
For an ee student deb or ubuntu

Either, since it's the apps not the OS itself that contribute to it's usability for a given purpose.

That said, is there a reason you've not mentioned Fedora? Sometimes it can be hard to choose the right app(I've tried 3 for circuit design.). As I'm sure you know, usually, there's a lot of crappy ones that are all trying to be like the one good one. Fedora has an interesting fix for this, they have what are called spins, which bundle the best apps for a given purpose. I think one of their spins may interest you: http://spins.fedoraproject.org/fel/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Umnn never tough about fedora

Last edited:
any student?

I'm agreeing with everyone else: the different distros are more or less interchangeable, specially since ubuntu is based on debian. Since you're sick of doing things manually, ubuntu would probably be better 'cause Canonical tends to keep the repos pretty up to date. Otherwise, choose whichever one your department uses or better yet whichever your lab uses (if you're doing research.)

Last edited:
To add to what story said: I assumed it was understood, just in case I'll go ahead and throw it out there. They literally use the same package system. A Debian package can be installed on Ubuntu and vice versa. The ONLY exception to this that I know of is Code::Blocks 10 which uses a version of wxWidgets incompatible with Ubuntu's version. And it may have been fixed by now, idk.

The ONLY exception to this that I know of is Code::Blocks 10 which uses a version of wxWidgets incompatible with Ubuntu's version. And it may have been fixed by now, idk.
Or you can just install wxWidgets from source and call it a day.

Or you can just install wxWidgets from source and call it a day.
Not if you're tired of doing it the manual way. :tongue:

Not if you're tired of doing it the manual way. :tongue:
:) :tongue: