How Hard is it to Get Into a Math/Physics PhD Program?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of getting into graduate programs and the importance of applying even if it seems impossible. The speaker mentions their interest in mathematical logic and pre-phd programs and their recent post on a physics forum. They also mention the influence of Max Tegmark's "ensemble theory" and ask for thoughts and advice. Another person shares their experience of applying for an NSF postdoc and getting accepted, and the conversation ends with a brief discussion about the culture at UC Berkeley.
phoenixthoth
Exactly how hard is it to get in?

I would probably do the mathematical logic program and maybe pre-phd program...?

My thesis of my thesis is just posted...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=132252

Kinda sounds like I'm looking for a bridge between set theory and string theory... Well, Max Tegmark's "ensemble theory" influenced that!

Any thoughts AND OR advice would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
as my buddy said, if you do not apply, it is impossible to get in. so go for it.

I was asking about an NSF postdoc, and they only gave 10 in the country per year, but I applied and I got one.

Berkeley is a good school, but the culture has a flavor to it. You probably know that already, since it is a primary choice for you. Are you in Cali presently?

What are the minimum requirements for admission into a Math/Physics PhD program?

The specific requirements for admission into a Math/Physics PhD program may vary between universities, but generally, applicants are expected to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as a high GPA and competitive scores on the GRE or other standardized tests.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting into a Math/Physics PhD program?

To improve your chances of getting into a Math/Physics PhD program, it is important to have a strong academic record, including excellent grades in relevant courses and research experience. Additionally, having strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and competitive scores on standardized tests can also increase your chances of admission.

Is it necessary to have a Master's degree before applying to a Math/Physics PhD program?

While having a Master's degree in a related field can certainly strengthen your application, it is not always necessary to have one before applying to a Math/Physics PhD program. Many universities offer combined Master's and PhD programs, allowing students to earn both degrees simultaneously.

Can I get into a Math/Physics PhD program if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

It is possible to get into a Math/Physics PhD program with an undergraduate degree in a different field, but it may require taking additional coursework or completing a Master's degree in a related field beforehand. It is important to demonstrate a strong aptitude and interest in mathematics and physics in your application.

What qualities do admissions committees look for in applicants to Math/Physics PhD programs?

In addition to strong academic credentials, admissions committees typically look for applicants who have a passion for mathematics and physics, as well as the potential for independent research. They also value diversity and experience in other fields, as it can bring a unique perspective to the program.