How are the physics departments at UC Santa Cruz and UC Davis?

• Thread starter renob
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics departments at UC Santa Cruz and UC Davis. One person mentions that Santa Cruz has an excellent program, particularly for those interested in astronomy. However, another person shares their experience as an astrophysics undergrad and states that they were unimpressed with the teaching and that grading was curved in all classes. They also mention that all physics majors must submit a thesis to graduate.
renob
UC Santa cruz/Davis?

Does anyone have any insight/comments about the physics departments at UC Santa Cruz or UC Davis?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Santa Cruz has an excellent program. Especially if you're interested in astronomy as well - Stan Woosley teaches there.

Everyone always says that the physics program is great, but I think that must have more to do with the research that goes on there. I was an astrophysics undergrad there up until last spring, and I was unimpressed with the teaching of all but one of my professors.

All of the professors I've come into contact with are kind and patient, but I got the distinct impression that many had little idea of how to present information to undergrads. The school is devoted to offering research opportunities to undergrads. All grading was curved in all of my classes. Upper div classes had about 40-50 students. The Science & Engineering library has excellent resources. I don't know if this is the norm, but all physics majors must submit a thesis in order to graduate.

1. What is the history of UC Santa Cruz?

UC Santa Cruz was founded in 1965 as one of the ten campuses of the University of California system. It was built on a former ranch and is known for its unique and innovative approach to teaching and research.

2. What are the top majors at UC Santa Cruz?

The most popular majors at UC Santa Cruz are computer science, psychology, biology, business management economics, and sociology. However, the university offers over 65 undergraduate majors and over 40 graduate programs.

3. How large is the student population at UC Santa Cruz?

As of Fall 2021, the undergraduate student population at UC Santa Cruz is approximately 19,500 and the graduate student population is around 2,000. In total, there are over 21,000 students enrolled at the university.

4. What is the campus like at UC Santa Cruz?

The UC Santa Cruz campus is located in a forested area with stunning views of the Pacific Ocean. It is known for its unique architecture and its natural beauty, with many hiking trails and outdoor spaces for students to enjoy.

5. What are the notable research areas at UC Santa Cruz?

UC Santa Cruz is known for its research in areas such as marine biology, astronomy, genomics, and environmental studies. The university also has a strong focus on social justice and sustainability, with many research projects focused on these topics.