Choosing Between Heriot-Watt and Edinburgh: A Student's Dilemma"

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether they should reapply to the University of Edinburgh or stay with their current acceptance at Heriot-Watt University for an undergraduate program in Physics. They have new experiences and courses that they believe would strengthen their personal statement for Edinburgh, but are unsure if it's worth the risk to reapply. They are seeking help in making this decision.
Noblee
Hello again,

I have a little dilemma that I have spent a lot of time thinking about, and I was hoping someone here could help me out, it would be very kind of you to do so.

During the last UCAS application process I got accepted to an undergrad programme in Physics at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, through deferred entry. Some day I plan to take a Ph.D. in Physics (what kind of physics I have little clue about) and of some reason I have doubts about Heriot-Watt, much since I think I could get accepted to University of Edinburgh.

The reason I think this is that I have some new stuff I can put into the personal statement (for example, I am shadowing a nuclear physicist on a national lab around where I study at the moment, which is in Lund, Sweden) and I am taking some pure maths courses (Calculus 1, Algebra 1, Fourier analysis and Linear Algebra). Also, my old personal statement was written when I was undecided between Maths and Physics and some Engineering.

I don't know which is better for me, Heriot-Watt or Edinburgh? If I want to reapply I have to give up my place at Heriot-Watt, that I know but Heriot-Watt is very unresponsive with their e-mail so asking them how they would view reapplying is hard.

What it really comes down to is which university would be better for me, and this is where I need help. And is it worth the risk of reapplying? (might be me just being silly)

Would very much appreciate some help! And thanks for reading!

//Noblee

Physics news on Phys.org

anyone?

1. What is UCAS and what does it stand for?

UCAS stands for Universities and Colleges Admissions Service. It is the central organization responsible for managing applications to undergraduate courses at universities and colleges in the UK.

2. When should I start my UCAS application?

The UCAS application process opens in early September for students applying to start university the following year. It is recommended to start your application as early as possible to allow enough time for research and completing your application before the deadline.

3. How many universities can I apply to through UCAS?

You can apply to a maximum of five courses at up to five different universities or colleges through UCAS. However, some exceptions may apply for certain courses such as medicine, dentistry, or veterinary science.

4. What documents do I need to submit with my UCAS application?

You will need to provide personal details, academic qualifications, a personal statement, and a reference from a teacher or advisor. Depending on your course, you may also need to submit additional documents such as a portfolio or written work samples.

5. When is the deadline for UCAS applications?

The deadline for most undergraduate courses is January 15th. However, some courses may have earlier or later deadlines, so it is important to check with the universities you are applying to. Late applications may be accepted, but it is best to submit your application before the deadline to ensure consideration.