UCL Vs KCL for a masters degree in Physics?

In summary, the speaker inquired about the experiences of others with the post/undergrad physics departments at King's College London (KCL) and University College London (UCL). They shared their own negative experience with the physics department at the University of Bristol and expressed hope that it will not continue into their master's degree. The conversation also noted that UCL is generally considered superior to KCL and both universities participate in a shared intercollegiate physics program. The importance of supervisors and facilities for project/thesis work was emphasized.
Nooginy
Hi everyone, just a quick post regarding the above. I have been accepted by both onto a part time (two year) masters degree. I got the KCL offer first and accepted but paid a £500 deposit that I will not get back if I switch. Even though I can't afford it I will switch if I decide UCL is a better degree for me.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any post/undergrad experience with these two departments. I graduated from the University of Bristol in 2013 in physics and mathematics and had a few issues with the degree. I found the way modules were taught within the physics department were quite poor, in comparison to the math. Just poor teaching, notes (mostly boring slideshows), organisation, and some errors in the exam papers on the big day. The lab work was much better, even though I ran into some huge issues in my final year project.

If anyone has any experience such as this within the physics departments of KCL and UCL please let me know. I found this lack of professionalism a great disappointment, and hope this does not continue into my masters.

Thanks for reading,

Physics news on Phys.org
UCL is generally considered superior to KCL overall. I would rate UCL above KCL just because it's got better brand name visibility, but they're both good. It's also worth noting that as they're both part of the University of London consortium, they both participate in the intercollegiate physics MSci, which the 4 year undergrad degrees share courses in the 4th year. This extends to the UCL MSc in (Astro)Physics at the very least, idk about KCL. This allows you to take modules from other UoL universities in your programme. Thus you could end up taking courses from both universities in any case. Much more important are the supervisors and facilities available for you for your project/thesis work, I would say.

1. What is the difference between UCL and KCL's masters degree programs in Physics?

UCL (University College London) and KCL (King's College London) both offer highly reputable masters degree programs in Physics. However, UCL has a stronger focus on theoretical physics, while KCL places more emphasis on experimental and applied physics. Additionally, UCL has a larger faculty and research facilities, while KCL has smaller class sizes and a more intimate learning environment.

2. Which university has a better reputation for Physics?

Both UCL and KCL have excellent reputations for their Physics programs. UCL is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world for Physics, while KCL is also highly regarded and has produced several Nobel Prize winners in Physics. Ultimately, the decision should be based on personal preferences and career goals.

3. What are the admission requirements for UCL and KCL's masters degree programs in Physics?

The admission requirements for UCL and KCL's masters degree programs in Physics are similar. Both universities require a minimum of an upper second-class (2:1) undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, such as Physics or a related field. They also typically require strong academic references and a personal statement outlining the applicant's interest and qualifications in Physics.

4. How long do the masters degree programs in Physics at UCL and KCL take to complete?

The masters degree programs in Physics at UCL and KCL are both full-time programs and typically take one year to complete. However, some programs may offer a part-time option, which can take up to two years to complete.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a masters degree in Physics from UCL or KCL?

Both UCL and KCL have strong connections with industry and offer excellent career opportunities for graduates of their masters degree programs in Physics. Graduates can pursue careers in research, academia, or industries such as technology, healthcare, and energy. They may also choose to continue their education and pursue a PhD in Physics or a related field.