Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UCLA or Berkeley for undergrad physics?

1. May 6, 2004 #1
    Hello all, I have to decide between UCLA and berkeley for undergrad physics. I would rather go to UCLA for social reasons, but i know berkeley is a great school for physics(im sure UCLA isnt half bad either). My question is how important is the school for undergrad. i know for grad school the college really makes a difference but im not sure for undergrad. Any help will be great.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

A friend of mine got his physics degree at UC Berkely, but his CS master's degree at California State University at Chico. He has something like 8 US patents in his name through HP (where he works) the guy's pretty darn smart and a great dancer. :biggrin:

My ex left Yale to attend Dartmouth because it was more of a party school. He spent more time playing bleets than studying. Do you want to study or party?

4. May 6, 2004 #3
    For undergraduate work they are both great. LA has more hot girls. Berkeley is a really cool area to live in.

edit- Where you go for undergraduate study doesn't matter nearly as much as most people think. You can go to a mediocore college and, if you do really well, get into a top graduate program. My sister spent two years at a state college in Utah and two years at UCSC. She has a very nice fellowship at Yale right now.

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  5. May 7, 2004 #4
    Thank for the opinions guys... and ucla does have hot girls

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?