UCLA prof is killing me with this derivation! help!

• Thread starter Raywashere
  • Start date

Homework Statement

This is for calc based physics, and the new phs prof wants us to derive this equation for a projectile motion lab.

From this range equation: R(theta) = (v_o^2cos(theta) / g) * [sin(theta) + [tex]\sqrt{sin^2(theta+ (2gh/v_o^2}[/tex]]

he wants us to derive this range maximizing equation: (theta)=cot^-1[tex]\sqrt{}1 + (2gh/v_o^2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to differentiate the inside of the sqrrt to 1 + 2gh/v_o^2 , because I made sin^2(theta) = to p and that just differentiated to 1, but how the heck do you get cot^-1???

also, another thing that is throwing me off is the fact that g(gravity) is a constant, so won't that just go to 0? but if that happens then the range eqution can't be differentiated...right?

someone help...please.

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is for calc based physics, and the new phs prof wants us to derive this equation for a projectile motion lab.

From this range equation: R(theta) = (v_o^2cos(theta) / g) * [sin(theta) + [tex]\sqrt{sin^2(theta+ (2gh/v_o^2}[/tex]]

he wants us to derive this range maximizing equation: (theta)=cot^-1[tex]\sqrt{}1 + (2gh/v_o^2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to differentiate the inside of the sqrt to 1 + 2gh/v_o^2 , because I made sin^2(theta) = to p and that just differentiated to 1, but how the heck do you get cot^-1???

also, another thing that is throwing me off is the fact that g(gravity) is a constant, so won't that just go to 0? but if that happens then the range equation can't be differentiated...right?

someone help...please.
I don't mean to insult you, but your new UCLA phys. prof. probably figures that his students know how to differentiate a wide variety of functions and can handle the product rule & chain rule in particular.

BTW: if p = sin2θ , then dp/dθ ≠ 0, because p is not a constant. In fact, dp/dθ = 2(sinθ)(cosθ).

ALSO: if [tex]\theta = \cot^{-1}\sqrt{1 + (2gh/{v_0}^2)}[/tex], that means [tex]\cot(\theta) = \sqrt{1 + (2gh/{v_0}^2)}[/tex]

What did you get for dR/dθ ?