Exploring Uniform and Harmonic Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of Uniform Circular Motion (UCM) and Standard Harmonic Motion (SHM). The speaker is looking for a more detailed explanation and equations for these concepts. Another person suggests that SHM can be described by applying time dependence to UCM and provides a link for a demonstration. They also recommend a website for further information and equations on UCM and SHM.
mark726
Hi,
I know the basics for Uniform Circular Motion and Standard Harmonic Motion, but I was wondering if anybody could explain them to me in more detail, or possibly give me any equations? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I always think of them as more or less the same thing, since you can decribe SHM (thats SIMPLE harmonic motion) by applying time dependence to uniform circular motion.

Follow http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/shm/shm.html for a great demonstration.

http://physics.bu.edu/py105/notes/SHM.html has a decent explantation and some equations to get you started. Any more specific questions, post them here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's your place for one-stop shopping:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

For UCM, click on "Mechanics" then "Circular Motion".
For SHM, click on "Mechanics" then "Periodic Motion" then "Simple Hamronic Motion".

1. What is uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object moves at a constant speed in a straight line. This means that the object covers equal distances in equal amounts of time.

2. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth between two points, passing through a central position and then returning to it again. This type of motion is often seen in oscillating systems such as a pendulum or a spring.

3. How is uniform motion different from accelerated motion?

Uniform motion is when an object moves at a constant speed, while accelerated motion is when an object's speed changes over time. In accelerated motion, the object's velocity is changing, either by increasing or decreasing in speed or by changing direction.

4. What is the relationship between uniform and harmonic motion?

Uniform and harmonic motion are both types of periodic motion, meaning they repeat themselves in a regular pattern. Uniform motion is a special case of harmonic motion, where the amplitude (maximum displacement) is constant and the frequency (number of oscillations per unit time) is infinite.

5. How is uniform and harmonic motion used in real-life applications?

Uniform motion is commonly used in everyday activities such as driving a car at a steady speed or running on a treadmill. Harmonic motion has many practical applications, including timekeeping devices such as pendulum clocks and metronomes, as well as in musical instruments like guitars and pianos.