Comparing UCs and EPFL Physics for Undergrad Study

• Thread starter diffrac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a high school senior has applied to five University of Californias and the EPFL in Lausanne for physics. They are seeking insight on the differences between the schools in terms of teaching style, difficulty of study, and overall environment. They are also considering the length of the programs and whether it would be better to choose a 4-year program or the EPFL's 3-year program. They are advised to wait for acceptance letters before making a decision.
diffrac
Hello,

I am currently a senior in a Swiss high school (french region) and i have applied to five University of Californias (UCSB, UCSC, UCSD, UCLA, UCI, UC Davis) and to the EPFL in Lausanne for physics.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some insight on the differences between them concerning the manner of teaching, difficulty of study, general environment, etc...
Would there be more advantages in one or the other for undergraduate studies?
Although the EPFL is three years of study (bachelor) compared to 4 (UCs), i have heard it may be more challenging in the first year? Would it therefore be better to go into a 4 year program which could be more 'gradual' or 'accomodating'?

Thanks for any advice/info you might have!

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a decision once you get some acceptance letters...

1. What are the main differences between UCs and EPFL for studying physics as an undergraduate?

The main differences between UCs and EPFL for studying physics as an undergraduate include the location, curriculum, and teaching style.

2. Which institution has a better reputation for physics research?

Both UCs and EPFL have a strong reputation in physics research, but EPFL is known for its cutting-edge research in areas such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

3. What is the average class size at UCs and EPFL for physics courses?

The average class size at UCs for physics courses is typically larger than at EPFL, with some classes at UCs having over 100 students while EPFL's class sizes are usually capped at around 30 students.

4. How do the tuition costs compare between UCs and EPFL for undergraduate physics programs?

UCs are generally more expensive for international students, with tuition costs ranging from $30,000 to $60,000 per year, while EPFL's tuition for international students is around $1,500 per year.

5. Which institution offers more opportunities for hands-on research experience in physics?

Both UCs and EPFL offer opportunities for hands-on research experience, but EPFL's smaller class sizes and focus on research make it easier for undergraduate students to get involved in research projects.