1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UCSB vs UWaterloo

1. Mar 29, 2014 #1
    I've just been admitted to UCSB (College of letter's and science) and the University of Waterloo for the honors physics program and I'm having difficulty deciding between the two. Which college has better research for undergrads? Since I'm planning on pursuing a career in physics, where would I find it easier to get into a top grad school? Which of the two is a better college from purely an academic standpoint?

Any response is appreciated

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

At this point, it's more about how you interact with the college than how a mythical average student interacts with the college. Nobody but you can say which is better - for you.

4. Mar 30, 2014 #3
    Things to consider about UWaterloo - new startup tech development centers on-campus and I am told they have very proactive tech transfer policies, if you plan on ending your studies with a research discovery :smile:
    If you are planning to go into computational research, there are a number of software companies close to campus, collaborating with UW.
    Just my 2 cents.

5. Mar 31, 2014 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Santa Barbara and its environs is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I would love to live there for a few years. Both UCSB and UWaterloo are stellar schools. You can't go wrong academically but remember you are living your life while you're a student, too. Either school can get you where you want to go. Unless one school was far cheaper, I know which one I would pick. (the one on the beach)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook