Is a Transfer to UCSD for Computational Physics a Good Idea?

In summary, the speaker is a freshman at a community college in California and plans to transfer to UC San Diego for their B.S. in Physics with specialization in Computational Physics. They want to have better job opportunities and plan to get an associate degree in Computer Science while completing transfer units. However, they are unsure if this is a good idea and would like to hear from someone with more experience. They express skepticism about the transfer of community college credits in computer science, math, or physics.
Musiton
Hi everyone,
I'm a freshman at a community college in California. I'm planning to transfer to UC San Diego later because of their undergraduate program- B.S. in Physics with specialization in Computational Physics.
I really like science and it's my dream to become a scientist but I want to have better opportunities to find a good job later as well. My plan is to get an associate degree in Computer science from my community college while passing units for the transfer because many units are already covered and I only have to pass an extra 15 units to get the degree.
But the problem is that I can't decide for sure. I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I need to hear from people with more experience.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I myself have my undergrad degree in Computational Physics, I have to say I'm skeptical that a university would accept community college credits in computer science/math or physics.

1. What is UCSD Computational Physics?

UCSD Computational Physics is a program offered by the University of California, San Diego that focuses on using computer simulations and mathematical models to understand and study physical systems.

2. What are the benefits of studying Computational Physics at UCSD?

Studying Computational Physics at UCSD provides students with a strong foundation in both physics and computer science, making them well-equipped for careers in interdisciplinary fields such as data science, engineering, and research.

3. What courses are included in the UCSD Computational Physics program?

Some of the courses included in the UCSD Computational Physics program are Computational Physics, Numerical Methods, Statistical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, and Electrodynamics.

4. Are there research opportunities for students in the UCSD Computational Physics program?

Yes, there are numerous research opportunities for students in the UCSD Computational Physics program. The program has a strong emphasis on research and offers students the chance to work with faculty on various projects.

5. Can students in the UCSD Computational Physics program pursue graduate studies in other fields?

Absolutely. Graduates of the UCSD Computational Physics program have a strong foundation in both physics and computer science, making them well-suited for graduate studies in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and data science.