Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UEFA's bullet-time

1. May 28, 2004 #1
    Those of you that watched the Champions League final last Wednesday probably noticed UEFA's new toy. Apparently they placed a number of still camera around the stadium and rigged them all to take pictures at the exact same time - reminds you of anything? During some of the replays they used this to create a bullet-time-like transition through opposite sides of the stadium.

Unfortunately I think they forgot to read some of the more important chapters in "Sam's Teach Yourself Bullet Time", such as the one that says the still images need to be of the same quality as that of the complete video stream, so it doesn't look like they used 1MP cameras for it. I think they also missed the part about how far more than a dozen cameras need to be used to cover a few hundred feet.

All in all though it was a noble attempt, but it could have been done so much better - a lot more cameras with higher quality would've provided a very impressive dramatic effect. Can you imagine having hundreds of cameras spread all around the stadium in key positions, allowing the director to choose any path to follow at any given time? We would be able to see a frozen rotating picture of the goalkeeper flying around, trying to reach the ball with his fingertips - priceless.

I don't know what methods they used in that last game, but what's to stop them from rigging the cameras to take a picture every second, with each picture overwriting the picture from 60 seconds ago. That's a nice big buffer of a whole minute to allow the director to choose whatever instant he wishes to display, while not requiring too much digital storage.

Call me crazy but it could work. :smile:
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted