Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ufo sighting + picture

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone.

I am very interested in anything to do with Space, Nature and the Universe. I have just got a new Canon 1000D and am starting to do some Astrophotography. I am subscribed to the Sky at Night magazine and read as much as I can.

I became interested in UFOs when watching a meteor shower I saw something strange. I was watching what I thought was a Satellite moving along above me when it stopped dead and started moving in the opposite direction, only a short distance, and then stopped again and started moving the same way it was to begin with. I don't know if this was just my eyes messing with me or the object did what I think it did but I started reading and watching everything I could about UFOs.
    A few years later I had to look after my Uncles house in a village just outside of the town I live in which is in Lincolnshire England. Me and my brothers were in my Uncles paddock one evening and saw 2 white objects moving across the fields in front of us. One object was bigger than the other, both were round and white like a bolt of lightning, not an object painted white or an object with a white light on it. These looked like a bolt of lightning does, that kind of light. There was no clouds or wind that night. We have never seen anything before that looked like these objects. The sighting lasted a few minutes.
    Because of this sighting, and the fact we had a couple of nights left to look after my uncles house, we decided to borrow my dads digital camera just in case we saw anything else. The next night we were outside with the camera, it was a clear night with no wind and my brothers were taking pictures and geting the typical Orbs in them which are mostly caused by moisture and dust, later that night there was an intense fog and we think the moisture in the air caused the Orbs in the photos we got. After being outside for a while we saw something coming towards us flashing a bright white light. The object was round, silent and moving slowly and we got a picture of it as it was overhead. As we got the picture of it we noticed another one coming which was identical to the first. As this second object was overhead we noticed a smaller white object travelling with it that wasn't flashing and we took a picture. The way the bigger objects would flash was that the entire object would flash a white light, the light would decrease and go out, then the light would increase and flash and keep doing this. It was only after we saw these objects that we realized how strange they were. There was no wind so they couldn't be balloons, at least we have never seen balloons like them before or since. They were quite low in the sky and they didn't make any noise.
    This happened some time in August 2003 and we only started trying to find out what these objects were quite recently. I have been in touch with Timothy Good, one of the worlds most well known UFO researchers, he seemed like a very busy man but was helpful, I sent him the pictures we got and basically, he didn't know what the objects are and recommended I get in touch with Nick Pope, Nick used to work at the Ministry of Defence in the U.K investigating UFOs. I got in touch with Nick who also didn't know what the objects were, he also seemed busy but was helpful, and said that he wasn't in a position where he could find this out but that I should send the pictures and my UFO sighting report to the Ministry of Defence and also a UFO research organisation, BUFORA. I got a letter from the MOD saying they don't investigate all UFO reports, they only see if there was any evidence of a threat, they remain open minded about UFOs and that they would file away my report and pictures. I have got to print off a report form from BUFORA, I don't have a printer so this is taking me a while but I have sent them my pictures. I have also sent my pictures and report to MUFON in the U.S and they are looking at my sighting now, they seemed to have trouble finding my report as they said they get about 600 reports a month!
    I still don't really have any idea what the objects we saw at my uncles house were because I don't know anything that fits with the way the objects looked and moved.

Please have a look at the picture I have attached to this thread. The object in the middle of the picture was flashing a bright white light, you can see the light around the object. To the lower left of the picture is the smaller object that wasn't flashing. Both objects were travelling towards the house in the picture. Becasue of the camera settings at the time the pictures were taken, the picture appears quite dark so when I look at them I use Autobalance to brighten them up a bit, but I have left the picture the way it is for you lot to see. There probably is a rational explanation for the objects but I can't think of one and haven't heard one yet so please tell me if you think you know what these objects could be.
    I've only just found this forum and had a quick look at the kind of responses people have been giving about the UFO subject and from what I have seen I am very impressed by the serious comments. Keep it up!

Thanks

All the best

Jamie

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17045&stc=1&d=1230945502

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By chance did this occur near an agricultural area?

I just checked Google Earth and that would appear to be the case. What do they grow around there?

Thanks for sharing your story, Jamie.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  4. Jan 3, 2009 #3
    In the photo connect with a line the two 'objects'.
    With a map and/or compass can you tell what is the direction of the line?
    Is it in aprox. direction of Iceland? or aprox. Ipswich?

5. Jan 3, 2009 #4
    Thanks very much for replying to my thread.

Yes, to one side of my uncles house is a small warehouse where tractors and machinery is kept. The village itself is surrounded by fields, the fields nearest to my uncles house mainly grow wheat I think.

I'm just looking on Google Earth and if you take the Swarby road into Culverthorpe and then turn left, or down looking on google when you enter the village there is a bus shelter. On google earth there's 2 signs that are marked and when you touch it says Transportdirect.info, look at the first sign you come to. To the right of this sign is a drive way and my uncles house is the one at the end of this drive way, or the second house in. The object's in the picture were travelling towards the house from below.

Please can you explain your questions to me.

Thanks for the help.

Jamie

6. Jan 3, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Your description of the objects in the photo is consistent with airplanes. Why do you believe they were not?

That said, the one in the center sure looks like a lens flare to me.

Upping the brightness using the "curves" function of photoshop, I see a number of lens flares of similar size to the "object" in the center and I see a number of stars that are indistinguishable from the object in the lower left. This looks to me like a rather mundane photo of the night sky.

I've attached my enhancement. I could do a lot more with the original - this was pretty noisy - but I don't see anything in the photo that is very interesting, so I don't think much can be gained by further enhancement.

It is quite likely that if you have spent a great deal of time looking at the night sky over the past decade or two that you have seen some things that are outside of peoples' normal perceptions. I once by accident took a recognizable photo of the tail of an airplane at 100x magnification! I also capture satellites, meteors, etc. I have not yet been lucky enough to capture something as exciting as spacecraft (besides a satellite). But here's a neat one of a booster burning up. It looked like a bright light that slowly grew and moved across the sky. This is a 30 min exposure of it, taken accidentally in what became a pretty famous photo: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070222.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. Jan 3, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would you assume that it's a lens flare when he said that he took a picture of something seen in the sky?

8. Jan 3, 2009 #7

russ_watters

I didn't say it is a lens flare, I said it looks like a lens flare. What are you assuming?

We have very little to go on here, Ivan. Eyewitness accounts are tough to deal with and I'm more likely to trust the actual evidence than eyewitness accounts. You know this.

9. Jan 3, 2009 #8

russ_watters

....Looking again and thinking about it more, I think I misinterpreted what I'm seeing. The small points of light probably aren't stars, they are probably popped pixels and what I said looked like lens flares is probably out of focus stars.

I think this because the building in the photo is in focus and it would be virtually impossible for both the building and the sky to be in focus at the same time. What that makes the other bright object (which is in focus), I don't know.

The object in the center - if it really was flashing, it could be any one of several common flashing objects: an airplane, a tumbling satellite, a firefly. We really have virtually nothing of value here with which to identify it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  10. Jan 3, 2009 #9
    Thanks for all the comments.

Please read my first thread again.

We saw 2 round objects that were flashing a bright white light and 1 smaller object that remained the same brightness. All objects were moving slowly without making a sound, all objects were at a low height in the sky.

Orbs that appear in pictures and are caused by dust and moisture appeared in the pictures taken that night and are most likely caused by moisture in the air, there was an intense fog later that night.

The objects in the pictures look the same as they did when we saw them. They are not airplanes! They are not satellites, fireflies, lens flare or out of focus stars.

Thanks very much for the help.

Jamie

11. Jan 3, 2009 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russ makes the point that we always assume the possiblity that any eyewitness account could be erroneous or a complete fabrication. As stated in the posting guidelines, we make this assumption without constant reminding. Also, in some cases we do debunk false claims. However, we also invite you to share your sincere accounts of seemingly unusual events or observations. Given this, it makes sense to offer any possible explanation that we can for the events as described.

Staying within the bounds of what is considered accepted science, the following post offers a few references to ball lightning phenomena that could be consistent with your observations. Not saying it is, but it is one possiblity.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2021507&posted=1#post2021507

Having not checked a map, I suspect that heldervelez was trying to ascertain if the orbs followed the magnetic field lines of the earth as this has been suggested to be true of ball lightning in some cases.

I have a personal hunch that ball lightning, or something that appears to be similar to ball lighting, can occur naturally over wheat and grass fields in particular, and perhaps with other crops as well. I also have some ideas about how and why this might happen. [August would be a good month. Had the fields been harvested yet?] But this is not a formal theory of mine or anything so grandios; it is something that is suggested by a class of the many thousands of UFO reports that I've read. But, since we don't yet understand ball lightning or how it might occur, at this time there is no way to relate this hunch to a formal model.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  12. Jan 4, 2009 #11
    Thanks very much for the comments Ivan and the great links.

One of my main hobbies is to watch Thunderstorms. I watch, record and collect severe weather documentaries, storm chasing and hurricane footage. I personally would be really happy if I saw ball lightning. I must have watched hundreds of storms over the years and I have never seen ball lightning before, so to see 3 in one night from a clear sky would be awesome!
    However, the objects we saw that night moved in a straight line at the same height. The objects kept the same slow speed. The 2 flashing objects would slowly, constantly flash a bright white light that covered the entire object, the light would then decrease and go out, then the light would increase in brightness and flash again which happened at a regular period of time. The sighting lasted at least 5 minutes. I don't think Ball lightning is what we saw that night and by the way the objects looked and moved that they were controlled devices/machines of some kind.
    I checked with some other picture's taken at the time we were at my uncle's house and the fields were still full of wheat.

Please keep the comments coming. I am sincere and really want to know what the objects are that we saw that night.

Thanks for the help

All the best

Jamie

13. Jan 4, 2009 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How could you possibly know their height? (Or do you mean low height wrt the horizon?)

How can you know they are not airplanes or satellites? It's not so much that I'm doubting your judgement on it; it's the implication that there's more that you know about the objects that you haven't said. What rules these things out?

14. Jan 4, 2009 #13
    Thanks for the comments Dave.

Yes. We first saw the objects coming towards us so could see how high they were against the horizon, the objects came directly above us moving slowly so we could see that they were quite low in the sky.

The objects were low in the sky so couldn't have been satellites. The objects were round and didn't have wings or a tail like a plane would have. The objects were silent, planes are not. The objects in the picture look like they did when we saw them.

The objects are not planes or satellites.

Thanks and please keep posting Dave.

All the best

Jamie

15. Jan 4, 2009 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From my point of view, nothing that you have said here rules out a natural phenomena like ball lightning. There is some video of "UFOs" over Gulf Breeze, Florida, that shows what almost certainly is a natural phenomena that involved flashing and pulsating lights.
    This is an excerpt that was easily found.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08s2Bhh_tlE&feature=related
    I have seen similar videos taken in the Mt Adams area, in the NW. Also, since we don't understand the physics of BL, there is no way to predict the behavior that might be observed under various circumstances.

Late summer before the harvest is the right time. Thanks.

Consider that there are other reported phenomena that may or may not be related to ball lightning. This is a particularly interesting account:

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf074/sf074g14.htm
    Ouellet, Marcel; "Earthquake Lights and Seismicity," Nature, 348:492, 1990.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  16. Jan 5, 2009 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I would say ball lightning is a pretty fantastic explanation in and of itself.

17. Jan 5, 2009 #16
    Thank you so much everyone for putting your time into this. I am completely sincere and want to find out what the objects are that we saw.

I love the fact there are things like Ball lightning, earth lights, Sprites and Jets seen in Thunderstorms that we know so little about. Thanks for all the great links. I have read about these phenomena before from reading about UFOs and from my interest in severe weather and thunderstorms. You have reminded me about the Hessdalen lights www.hessdalen.org
    I have seen the youtube footage before and have seen Ball lightning footage taken in India before, very interesting.

The object in the middle of my picture isn't a light, its an object which when it flashed was covered in light, you can see the light around the object. It could just appear that way. I wonder if there was any earthquake activity in the area at the time, I will see if I can find this out.

To watch these objects, everything about them looked controlled. They were travelling at the same height and in a straight line. The objects that were flashing flashed at a regular period of time. They were moving steady and slowly. They didn't make a sound, no hissing or crackling. There was no wind that night, the skies were crystal clear and it was quiet, its a small village area and is generally quiet. These objects could be natural but there appeared to be nothing natural about them.

For me to see 3 Ball lightning, 2 of which were flashing, in 1 night would be fantastic! Unfortunately I don't think we saw Ball lightning, but I admit this could be wrong considering what little we know about the phenomena.

I am going to send the pictures to any Ball lightning experts that I can and see what they think, I didn't do this before because the way the objects looked and moved didn't look natural at all. Please can you lot give me any advice if you think you know a good place to send my picture and report, feel free to do this yourself.

Thanks for all the help and please keep commenting.

All the best

Jamie

18. Jan 5, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why?

19. Jan 5, 2009 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I guess because I put it in the rather broad range between The Mundane and The Loch Ness Monster. It's been witnessed, sure, but it's so rare and hard-to-pin-down that I wouldn't consider it as the 'default' merely because it can't be ruled out. For me, ball lightning is still just too 'out there'.

Season and geographical location aside, do they float around over houses?

20. Jan 5, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ball lightning is by all or most accounts known to exist, as are earthlights. There may be other related phenomena as well. The report offered here is fairly consistent with many ball lightning reports, so BL or earthlights certainly qualify for consideration. However, as stated, this is only one possible explanation. I didn't say anything about a default. In fact I don't think there is such a thing as a "default". Unless someone can provide a clearly definitive answer, which does not appear possible in this case, we can only offer potential explanations.

Sure. There was even a house in Japan that had its roof half destroyed by ball lightning. And while generally associated with lightning strikes, this is not always the case. The links posted above [posts 10 + 14] offer many more links and plenty of detailed discussion.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  21. Jan 5, 2009 #20
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

I have decided to post the first picture we took of the first object we saw. The object would flash, the light would decrease and go out, then the light would increase and flash and keep doing this at a regular period of time. We took this picture when the light on the object had gone out so its hard to see it. If you look at the little open window, make a line from the middle of it down about an inche and there is the object. You need to brighten up the picture to see the object better and when you do you will see more Orbs which as I said are probably caused by the moisture in the air. I didn't post this picture before because I thought the other one was the best, there is 2 objects that you can see well, and we saw them after the object in this picture.

Thinking about the Ball lightning explanation and earth lights, would it be possible to see the phenomena's as an object without light or as an object with light around itself instead of just a light?

Thanks everyone for the help

All the best

Jamie

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17082&stc=1&d=1231187836

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?