Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UFO siting - ~ 30 second duration

1. Jul 17, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

It is 11pm here, and while inspecting some outside plant i just saw some thing strange.

It looked like the hazy out line of a big bird with out streached wings but traveling far to fast for a bird, no noise above the back ground noise of machinery, the thing traveled at a slight angle towards me and did a tight
    u turn traveling back the same direction it came, i had it in sight for about 30 seconds, the sky is clear with visible stars.
    The u turn was very tight and completed much faster than an aircraft could,
    it seemed low down 300ft or so.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2007 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Light boucing off the gas given off the plant?

4. Jul 17, 2007 #3
    A ninja hang glider?

Light bouncing off marsh gas as mentioned?

Difficult to say, buy a video camera.

Probably just something ordinary that looked extraordinary from your perspective, hard to say without seeing it.

5. Jul 17, 2007 #4

wolram

Gold Member

There is no discharge from the plant, the object did not look solid, i have never seen seen any thing like it before, if it were not for the rate of travel and that tight u turn i would have said it was a big bird,

6. Jul 17, 2007 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You said the sky was clear, but the object appeared hazy. Any chance that there was enough haze at that altitude that it was a strong flashlite being shone upwards, or maybe a searchlight advertising some event nearby?

7. Jul 17, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you provide any details as to the distance to the visible horizon? What was the approach angle mentioned; an angle wrt to what? Did the object come from below the horizon and return in the ~thirty seconds that you mentioned. How close to you was the approach; was it directly overhead when it made the turn? What was the apparent radius of the turn? What was the apparent size of the object; for example as compared to a quarter held at arm's length?

The more information that you can provide here the easier it is to suggest likely candidates.

8. Jul 17, 2007 #7

wolram

Gold Member

I am on a factory estate so the horizon is cut off with buildings.

The angle was with regard to me, it traveled, or i first caught sight of it on right, i guess if my shoulders were north south it would be going 190/200
    It was to my left when it made the turn.
    Hard to guess the turn radius but about twice the size of the object.
    It is realy difficult to give a size a guess, a one inch squ would cover it at arms lengh.

9. Jul 17, 2007 #8

wolram

Gold Member

The factory is about 30ft high and i was about 30ft away from it, the factory is about north south along its lengh, the object did not go below the building.
    when the object turned the turn was towards me.

10. Jul 17, 2007 #9

russ_watters

Any chance it was a bat, flying closer and slower than you realized? At night, with no depth perception and no reference scale for distance, it is very difficult to actually figure out how far away something is.

11. Jul 17, 2007 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I am sure it was not a creature the wings did not move, or what seemed like wings, it was also way to fast with the buildings as reference.

12. Jul 17, 2007 #11

russ_watters

But see, using the building as a reference is exactly what you do not want to do because it is impossible to tell how far behind/above the building the object was. If it was 300 feet up, it may have been moving fast, but if it was 100 feet up, it may not have been.

13. Jul 17, 2007 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Agreed, i do not want to make some thing out of nothing, i just saw some thing out of the ordinary for me, but i am sure in my own mind it was not a bird or a bat, the u turn was to tight and fast.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?