UFO siting - ~ 30 second duration

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a strange object seen in the sky at 11pm while inspecting outside plant. The object appeared hazy and traveled at a fast speed, making a tight u-turn and appearing low to the ground. There was no discharge from the plant and the object did not look solid. The speaker was unable to determine the distance or size of the object, making it difficult to identify. It was suggested that it could be a strong flashlight or searchlight, but the speaker remained convinced it was not a bird or bat due to its movements.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It is 11pm here, and while inspecting some outside plant i just saw some thing strange.

It looked like the hazy out line of a big bird without streached wings but traveling far to fast for a bird, no noise above the back ground noise of machinery, the thing traveled at a slight angle towards me and did a tight
u turn traveling back the same direction it came, i had it in sight for about 30 seconds, the sky is clear with visible stars.
The u turn was very tight and completed much faster than an aircraft could,
it seemed low down 300ft or so.

Physics news on Phys.org
Light boucing off the gas given off the plant?

A ninja hang glider?

Light bouncing off marsh gas as mentioned?

Difficult to say, buy a video camera.

Probably just something ordinary that looked extraordinary from your perspective, hard to say without seeing it.

JasonRox said:
Light boucing off the gas given off the plant?

There is no discharge from the plant, the object did not look solid, i have never seen seen any thing like it before, if it were not for the rate of travel and that tight u turn i would have said it was a big bird,

You said the sky was clear, but the object appeared hazy. Any chance that there was enough haze at that altitude that it was a strong flashlite being shone upwards, or maybe a searchlight advertising some event nearby?

Can you provide any details as to the distance to the visible horizon? What was the approach angle mentioned; an angle wrt to what? Did the object come from below the horizon and return in the ~thirty seconds that you mentioned. How close to you was the approach; was it directly overhead when it made the turn? What was the apparent radius of the turn? What was the apparent size of the object; for example as compared to a quarter held at arm's length?

The more information that you can provide here the easier it is to suggest likely candidates.

Ivan Seeking said:
Can you provide any details as to the distance to the visible horizon? What was the approach angle mentioned; an angle wrt to what? Did the object come from below the horizon and return in the ~thirty seconds that you mentioned. How close to you was the approach; was it directly overhead when it made the turn? What was the apparent radius of the turn? What was the apparent size of the object; for example as compared to a quarter held at arm's length?

The more information that you can provide here the easier it is to suggest likely candidates.

I am on a factory estate so the horizon is cut off with buildings.

The angle was with regard to me, it traveled, or i first caught sight of it on right, i guess if my shoulders were north south it would be going 190/200
It was to my left when it made the turn.
Hard to guess the turn radius but about twice the size of the object.
It is really difficult to give a size a guess, a one inch squ would cover it at arms lengh.

The factory is about 30ft high and i was about 30ft away from it, the factory is about north south along its lengh, the object did not go below the building.
when the object turned the turn was towards me.

Any chance it was a bat, flying closer and slower than you realized? At night, with no depth perception and no reference scale for distance, it is very difficult to actually figure out how far away something is.

russ_watters said:
Any chance it was a bat, flying closer and slower than you realized? At night, with no depth perception and no reference scale for distance, it is very difficult to actually figure out how far away something is.

I am sure it was not a creature the wings did not move, or what seemed like wings, it was also way to fast with the buildings as reference.

But see, using the building as a reference is exactly what you do not want to do because it is impossible to tell how far behind/above the building the object was. If it was 300 feet up, it may have been moving fast, but if it was 100 feet up, it may not have been.

russ_watters said:
But see, using the building as a reference is exactly what you do not want to do because it is impossible to tell how far behind/above the building the object was. If it was 300 feet up, it may have been moving fast, but if it was 100 feet up, it may not have been.

Agreed, i do not want to make some thing out of nothing, i just saw some thing out of the ordinary for me, but i am sure in my own mind it was not a bird or a bat, the u turn was to tight and fast.

What is a UFO?

A UFO, or unidentified flying object, is an object in the sky that cannot be identified or explained by conventional means. It is often associated with extraterrestrial life or advanced technology.

What does "30 second duration" mean in relation to a UFO sighting?

"30 second duration" refers to the length of time that the UFO was observed by witnesses. It is a short amount of time compared to other UFO sightings, which can last for several minutes or even hours.

Why is it important to study UFO sightings?

Studying UFO sightings can help us gain a better understanding of the universe and potential extraterrestrial life. It can also provide insights into advanced technology and potential threats to our planet.

What are common explanations for UFO sightings?

Common explanations for UFO sightings include natural phenomena such as meteors or weather balloons, human-made objects such as drones or aircraft, and hoaxes or misinterpretations of known objects.

Are there any credible UFO sightings?

There have been many reported UFO sightings that have been investigated and remain unexplained. However, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of extraterrestrial life or advanced technology visiting Earth.