Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UFOs - personal experience

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

I was just wondering...if what I saw when I was small was a real UFO.

My family was driving along a freeway with trees on both sides (very thick trees since it was a rural area with no lights) in the afternoon since we had just went to the mall which was very far away.

Then I had my chin resting on the little spot where the window joined with the car door. I was looking above the trees (we were on the inner lane of a 4 lane highway) and then we were driving along when suddenly I saw a silver disk hovering above the trees, some ways off. It was large or close enough for me to see it was silver and had a shadow on the side of it.(my right side since I was on the right side of the passenger car and we were driving towards the sunset) The sun was setting but cast a glow on the left side of the silver "disk" and reflected off it. I just had my chin resting on the door. Then interestingly I distincly remember it shooting off in the opposite direction of the car and it was EXACTLY like what you see on star trek (it was so fast) and the disapearing act was in the shape of => /\ and it was gone. (the whole event was aproximately 10seconds total from seeing it hover, then the 1 sec it took to disapear)Then I thought about what I had just saw and since I was small I really didn't realize that this wasn't "normal"...and then It clicked and I told my mom what I saw.

Quite an odd experience to be sure :bugeye:...I personally think it's a UFO but I want to see what you people think of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2
    That was a nice little story, but it seems like we get 10-15 of these every week, yet I haven't read about anything confirming these stories.

You know what's interesting? Is my brother took pictures of Nevada cloud formations that look just like the photos they take out there and claim them to be UFO spottings. Our mind plays so many tricks on us.

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We do?

5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    Counted about 5 on the first page alone.

6. Apr 25, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, those weren't all posted this week, they aren't personal accounts, and some do come with evidence. The Washington DC thread is about a sighting in 1952 in which visual, RADAR, and photographic evidence was obtained. In fact military jets were scrambled because in principle the White House was in jeopardy.

In fact we have had very few personal accounts of UFO sightings in the five years that I've been moderating this forum.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  7. Apr 25, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We do occasionally get people asking about things they saw, but very few that are convinced that they saw a flying saucer.

8. Apr 25, 2008 #7

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Was it a reflection off the window?

If the sun was setting ahead of you then it might have reflected off the bonnet (hood) while you were travelling in a straight line, but if the road then curved the reflection would move rapidly.

Garth

9. Apr 26, 2008 #8

~christina~

Gold Member

The light and shadow convinced me.
    [​IMG]

I drew what I saw
    including:
    -reflection of sunlight of top side of "UFO" and the shadow on the other side of it which was not in sunlight
    -angle of sun to the car
    -my location in the car (note face is leaning on glass)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?