Was My Childhood UFO Sighting Real?

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary: Then I had my chin resting on the little spot where the window joined with the car door. I was looking above the trees (we were on the inner lane of a 4 lane highway) and then we were driving along when suddenly I saw a silver disk hovering above the trees, some ways off. It was large or close enough for me to see it was silver and had a shadow on the side of it. (my right side since I was on the right side of the passenger car and we were driving towards the sunset) The sun was setting but cast a glow on the left side
~christina~
Gold Member
I was just wondering...if what I saw when I was small was a real UFO.

My family was driving along a freeway with trees on both sides (very thick trees since it was a rural area with no lights) in the afternoon since we had just went to the mall which was very far away.

Then I had my chin resting on the little spot where the window joined with the car door. I was looking above the trees (we were on the inner lane of a 4 lane highway) and then we were driving along when suddenly I saw a silver disk hovering above the trees, some ways off. It was large or close enough for me to see it was silver and had a shadow on the side of it.(my right side since I was on the right side of the passenger car and we were driving towards the sunset) The sun was setting but cast a glow on the left side of the silver "disk" and reflected off it. I just had my chin resting on the door. Then interestingly I distincly remember it shooting off in the opposite direction of the car and it was EXACTLY like what you see on star trek (it was so fast) and the disapearing act was in the shape of => /\ and it was gone. (the whole event was aproximately 10seconds total from seeing it hover, then the 1 sec it took to disapear)Then I thought about what I had just saw and since I was small I really didn't realize that this wasn't "normal"...and then It clicked and I told my mom what I saw.

Quite an odd experience to be sure :bugeye:...I personally think it's a UFO but I want to see what you people think of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
~christina~ said:

My family was driving along a freeway with trees on both sides (very thick trees since it was a rural area with no lights) in the afternoon since we had just went to the mall which was very far away.

Then I had my chin resting on the little spot where the window joined with the car door. I was looking above the trees (we were on the inner lane of a 4 lane highway) and then we were driving along when suddenly I saw a silver disk hovering above the trees, some ways off. It was large or close enough for me to see it was silver and had a shadow on the side of it.(my right side since I was on the right side of the passenger car and we were driving towards the sunset) The sun was setting but cast a glow on the left side of the silver "disk" and reflected off it. I just had my chin resting on the door. Then interestingly I distincly remember it shooting off in the opposite direction of the car and it was EXACTLY like what you see on star trek (it was so fast) and the disapearing act was in the shape of => /\ and it was gone. (the whole event was aproximately 10seconds total from seeing it hover, then the 1 sec it took to disapear)Then I thought about what I had just saw and since I was small I really didn't realize that this wasn't "normal"...and then It clicked and I told my mom what I saw.

Quite an odd experience to be sure :bugeye:...I personally think it's a UFO but I want to see what you people think of it.

That was a nice little story, but it seems like we get 10-15 of these every week, yet I haven't read about anything confirming these stories.

You know what's interesting? Is my brother took pictures of Nevada cloud formations that look just like the photos they take out there and claim them to be UFO spottings. Our mind plays so many tricks on us.

LightbulbSun said:
That was a nice little story, but it seems like we get 10-15 of these every week,

We do?

Ivan Seeking said:
We do?

Counted about 5 on the first page alone.

Well, those weren't all posted this week, they aren't personal accounts, and some do come with evidence. The Washington DC thread is about a sighting in 1952 in which visual, RADAR, and photographic evidence was obtained. In fact military jets were scrambled because in principle the White House was in jeopardy.

In fact we have had very few personal accounts of UFO sightings in the five years that I've been moderating this forum.

Last edited:
We do occasionally get people asking about things they saw, but very few that are convinced that they saw a flying saucer.

~christina~ said:

Was it a reflection off the window?

If the sun was setting ahead of you then it might have reflected off the bonnet (hood) while you were traveling in a straight line, but if the road then curved the reflection would move rapidly.

Garth

Ivan Seeking said:
We do occasionally get people asking about things they saw, but very few that are convinced that they saw a flying saucer.
The light and shadow convinced me.
Garth said:
Was it a reflection off the window?

If the sun was setting ahead of you then it might have reflected off the bonnet (hood) while you were traveling in a straight line, but if the road then curved the reflection would move rapidly.

Garth

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9321/ufonx5.th.jpg

I drew what I saw
including:
-reflection of sunlight of top side of "UFO" and the shadow on the other side of it which was not in sunlight
-angle of sun to the car
-my location in the car (note face is leaning on glass)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What should I do if I see a UFO?

If you see a UFO, the first thing you should do is try to gather as much information as possible. Take note of the shape, size, and color of the object, as well as its location and any unusual movements. You should also try to take pictures or videos if possible. Afterward, you can report your sighting to a reputable UFO research organization or to the authorities.

2. Why do some people claim to have personal experiences with UFOs?

There are many possible explanations for personal experiences with UFOs. Some of these include misidentified natural or man-made objects, hoaxes, dreams or hallucinations, or even mental health issues. However, it is also possible that some personal experiences with UFOs are genuine sightings of unidentified flying objects from other worlds.

3. Are personal experiences with UFOs considered credible evidence?

While personal experiences with UFOs can be compelling, they are not considered credible evidence on their own. This is because they can be influenced by a variety of factors such as human error, bias, and perception. In order to be considered credible evidence, personal experiences should be supported by other forms of evidence, such as photographs, videos, or radar data.

4. What should I do if I want to investigate my own personal experience with a UFO?

If you want to investigate your own personal experience with a UFO, there are a few steps you can take. First, try to gather as much information about the sighting as possible, including any physical evidence. You can also reach out to UFO research organizations or experts for assistance in analyzing your experience. Additionally, keeping an open mind and considering all possible explanations can help in your investigation.

5. Why do some people believe in UFOs based on personal experiences while others do not?

Belief in UFOs based on personal experiences can vary greatly from person to person. Some individuals may have had a genuine, unexplainable encounter that leads them to believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life. Others may have a natural skepticism and require more concrete evidence before believing in UFOs. Personal experiences can also be influenced by cultural beliefs and personal biases, leading to a range of perspectives on the topic.