Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UFOs: What do you think of the format?

1. Aug 14, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you all think about the format for UFOs? Sting was trying to limit the UFOs to the dedicated threads to prevent this from dominating the entire forum. Personally, I tend to appreciate the item by item conversations. What are your thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2003 #2
    I find the item by item format to be easier because then I can more easily see new issues as they come up. Otherwise I have to check the UFO post to see weather it's a new topic or just a conversation on an old one.

4. Aug 14, 2003 #3
    Which is the reason why I gave up on moderating this Forum. My lack of interest in the subject prevents me from being able to tell the difference between one UFO story and another.

By the way Ivan, you might want to regenerate that vampirism thread. I think I killed it by trying to incorporate statistics into it.

5. Aug 14, 2003 #4

FZ+

Erm... Sorry but I still prefer a single update thread, which may then seed topics that deal with specific stuff, to avoid single topics of the ludicruous type (Ie. Organsm aliens) with precisely 0 replies swamping the forum. IMHO, of course.

6. Aug 14, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the number of hits I was assuming that these posts are appreciated for their entertainment value. You feel this is inappropriate for the forum?

7. Aug 14, 2003 #6

FZ+

Ouch! Loaded question! I don't mean entertainment is inappropiate...

I am asking that we divide the entertainment value from the serious interest. The best (only) way I can see this done is to originate the discussion in a single topic, and then branch out if someone feels it is worthwhile to talk about in depth.

8. Aug 14, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoops. Sorry, I didn't mean to ask you a loaded question. I just wasn't sure about the motivation for your objection.

I know a lot of this stuff is pretty far out to say the least! I even cringed and hesistated a bit myself when posting the (Ie. Organsm aliens) story.

Please keep the ideas and objections coming. Over time I will adjust things and see how it goes.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  9. Aug 20, 2003 #8
    Although I read almost every
    thread you start by posting a
    news story, I find many of them
    to be inert as thread starters.
    All too often there just seems
    to be nothing to say.

It would make for juicier threads if you only posted those
    stories which elicited some strong
    response from you which you would
    include in the first post to get
    the conversation going.
    participating, what's the harm in
    thread overlap? The hot topics
    stay on the board and the ones that don't appeal to the current
    users sink to the bottom. No one
    who wants to post a ghost or
    Nessie thread is denied their
    chance for attention because of
    UFO threads.

-zooby

10. Aug 20, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This brings up another good point. I have had some mixed comments on this. Some people seem to enjoy the links FYI. Others object in a similar fashion to threads without conversation. I just never know what people will find interesting. I have posted threads expecting a huge number of hits and discussion, or virtually none, only to observe just the opposite of that expected. Believe it or not I do actually filter a bit, but very little as you can see. I dunno... Of course, I never would have expected 20 hits from you on the orgasmic alien thread either.

11. Aug 20, 2003 #10
    Ivan,

You said:

I have posted threads expecting a huge number of hits and discussion, or virtually none, only to observe just the opposite of that expected.

Yes, the response is not predict-
    able. My suggestion is to only
    start threads with links to stor-
    ies when you, yourself, have some
    strong reaction to something in
    the story which you would describe
    in your original post, in order
    to get a conversation started.

People are more interested in back
    and forth conversation than FYI
    and I believe it greatly increases
    the chances of a conversation be-
    ing started when a viewpoint is
    clearly expressed. I often don't
    bother to say anything because it's clear you, yourself, don't have much interest in a story.

-zoob

12. Aug 21, 2003 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Aug 21, 2003 #12
    That only gives you something like
    a 5% success rate, and, as soon as
    I responded to it you announced
    you were closing the thread.No
    discussion, no amusing banter.
    Inert.

14. Aug 21, 2003 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The subject can be continued in the Hall of Fame. I just can't allow duplicate threads. The HOF is not a napster; this is not intended to limit discussions. I am trying to appease our skeptics a little by addressing at least the most outrageous claims with the Hall of Fame.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?