1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ug, a couple more tough problems

1. Feb 10, 2006 #1
    the first one says:

Prove that:
    a) [tex] |sin z | \geq |sin x| [/tex]
    b) [tex] |cos z | \geq |cos x| [/tex]

Where I guess z = x+iy...

What I have done:
    Well I am pretty stumped on this one, I have though about expanding sin z into [tex] (sin x) (cosh y) + (i cos x) (sinh y) [/tex]. I dont think that helps me prove anything, but it seems like more terms means it would be greater than just a sin x :uhh:

Second problemo:

We see the anuglar momentum components
    [tex] (L_x - i L_y) != (L_x +iL_y)* [/tex]

Gosh I've tried a lot on this one, I really don't know too too much about QM, so its been tough. It just seems to go against the definition of a conjugate, so I dunno....

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First:

Think a little harder! :)

HINT: What is the absolute value of the expression?

Second: What exactly does that exclamation point mean?

4. Feb 10, 2006 #3
    oh i didnt know how to put the does not equal to sign, so I put the !=.

5. Feb 10, 2006 #4
    hmmmm well of course I know |z| = [tex]\sqrt{x^2 +y^2}[/tex]

so would |sin z| = [tex] \sqrt{(sin x)^2 (cosh y)^2 + (i cos x)^2 (sinh y)^2} [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  6. Feb 10, 2006 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite. You need to multiply sin z by its complex conjugate, i.e. the i under the radical doesn't belong there.

7. Feb 10, 2006 #6
    hmm ok so I get[tex] (sin^2 x) (cosh^2y) + (cos^2 x) (sinh^2 y) [/tex]

but that gives me [tex]|sin z|^2[/tex], and then hmm, I need to take the sqaure root of that to get get back to |sin z|?

8. Feb 10, 2006 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you'll find the identity [itex]\cos^2(x)=1-\sin^2(x)[/itex] quite helpful in finishing this off.

As for the QM question I think what they're driving at here is that you don't take the complex conjugate of operators. Instead you take the Hermitian conjugate. That means that [itex]L_x-iL_y=(L_x+iL_y)^{\dagger}[/itex].

And by the way the not-equal-to symbol is given by [itex]\neq[/itex] (click the image to see the code).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?