Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ugly people

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Do you consider ugliness a misery? Do you think is there any nice thing about being ugly?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2
    I think miserable people are ugly.

4. Aug 30, 2006 #3
    I think you are ugly. o:)

5. Aug 30, 2006 #4
    [​IMG]

No matter how ugly they are, they still fantasize about you, Lisa!.

6. Aug 30, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Beauty (and ugliness) are in the eye of the beholder. I think a lot of men are ugly that other women find attractive and vice versa.

7. Aug 30, 2006 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you guys are talking of someone who isn't just flat out atrocious.

Because if they were, happiness will be hard to achieve in my opinion.

8. Aug 30, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure? Have you ever stopped and look?

http://www.uglypeople.nl/?onderwerp=vrouwen

Obviously we only notice attractive people, but take a look around and some should pop out just as often as really attractive ones.

9. Aug 30, 2006 #8
    Well, one upside is that you never have to wonder if your mate is with you just because of your looks. :tongue2:
    And if you're ugly and poor then you've got it twice as good!

-GeoMike- (Poor and ugly, but happily married!)

10. Aug 30, 2006 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cheers to that!

11. Aug 30, 2006 #10
    Well aside from the obvious ugliness is on the inside whatever is on the outside doesn't matter, the world works on the Halo effect. The great thing is the Halo effect will sometimes turn you into a shallow unpersonable fool. The point is there's nothing more important than what's up top, and little less important than what people see. It's just most people are too absorbed with the outside to see it. Screw 'em they're morons :smile:

I made the word unpersonable up BTW.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  12. Aug 30, 2006 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I :!!) this guy!!! :!!) :!!) :!!)

13. Sep 1, 2006 #12
    People are rarely as ugly as they look.

14. Sep 1, 2006 #13
    Well, there is no denying that some people are easier on the eyes than others, some people can have a lot of acne, be fat, or just have a face figure that makes them less attractive.
    I think these are things we notice in people because we are always looking to improve ourselves, and we have set a goal of what we think is beautiful and what is not.

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but when given the choice, I don't think anyone would choose to be 400 pounds, face full of acne and an unattractive face figure. (Although I agree what is an attractive face is EXTREMELY subjective.)

I am by the way speaking about the western world, aka europe and america, can't really speak for other cultures as they may have completely different standards.

15. Sep 1, 2006 #14

LURCH

Science Advisor

Nope, I'm generally quite content!

16. Sep 2, 2006 #15

Lisa!

Gold Member

Hope what you're saying would be true all the time. And those whom we consider ugly, would be looked beautiful in someone else's eyes beautiful. Although in some cases that seems pretty impossible!:frown:

BTW, does anyone agree that being fairly ugly is a bliss?:biggrin:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  17. Sep 2, 2006 #16
    In a way yes because the Halo effect is not a matter so people take you on what you can do, not what they think you can do based on your outstanding God like physical and erm wow he's cute or strong or good at maths or,or jeez abilities; it means you work harder to garner a result.

If you are blind then your other senses become more of a worth to you and others, if you have nothing but your mind then your mind becomes the sole proprieter of your worth. So yes Beauty doesn't matter, unless your worth is based on it. And how often does that matter? By the way I'm not hideous troll or anything it's just my opinion based on what I see:tongue2: Being ugly or disfigured or anyhitng that makes people prejudge you makes you work harder, so yes it is worthy if it makes you strive beyond your physical "difficulty".

18. Sep 3, 2006 #17

Lisa!

Gold Member

I think ugliness could be nice since ugly people especially women don't have hard time to choose 1 of the guys around them. As mentioned, they focus on their work and try to prove themselves by their accomplishments since they know they don't have any other way to prove themselves. Oh and most of people have no difficulty telling an ugly person what they really think of him/her. There are less distractions in their lives. so that they can concentrate on getting the best by their talents.
    Ugliness could be also a trouble since people are more likely to accept an ugly person's nastiness. I mean it's hard to think a cute person could be nasty. Some people just never belive that some one is nasty if s/he's cute.

19. Sep 23, 2006 #18

Lisa!

Gold Member

Could you please tell me what you mean by luck?
    I don't remember I mentioned luck here. Perhaps you mean the opposite of miserable that's lucky, eh?
    Anyway I don't think people are miserable because of having bad luck. There are so many people who get lots of great opportunities(Luck is about oppottunities, IMO) but they just waste all of that by their stupidity!

20. Sep 24, 2006 #19
    It is better to be attractive than to be ugly. I'm not saying that attractive people are better people, or that we are happier people, but we do have advantages over ugly people and many things are easier. I think the advantages mostly deal with trivial things like getting quicker service in a crowded bar. Humans treat beauty better than ugly. If you don't think that's true ask yourself if you've ever gone out and fed some birds or squirrels and see if you've done the same thing for the roaches and the slugs as often.

21. Sep 24, 2006 #20

Lisa!

Gold Member

Agree! But sometimes ugly poeple get quicker service since people cant stand them.:tongue:
    I always think that how ugly people can stand their own appearance! But surprisingly I notice that most of them are quite confident on their looks and even consider themselves quite beautiful while some attractive people are quite opposite!:bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?