Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uh oh poor kitty =(

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

I accidentally clipped one of my cat Mew-mew's nails too short. :frown:
    I heard a small yowl and when I took a close look I saw red. :eek:

I had keep him on my lap and apply pressure to stem the bleeding..he was complaining..but now it's fine.
    I put some medicine on it but I don't want him to lick it so I put a bandaid over one of his toes as well. :rolleyes:
    I have to keep him from attacking it though so I put him in his bed and I'm watching him right now. (I think he fell asleep=> such a good kitty)

has anyone ever done this before?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2
    .... thats bad. you will have to watch him all day! take one eye of him and he willl start bleding again. cats tend to lick their wounds....

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've read about it. I've heard it's easy to clip too close so I don't clip my dogs' claws. For one, they HATE having their paws touched and will fight and kick to get away. They're claws are black and I can't see where the pulp is, so I leave it to the vet or the groomer. I'm too chicken!

I don't have to clip Phoebe's claws - she climbs trees and fence posts, and that seems to wear them down.

If the bleeding has stopped it's probably OK. Poor Mew-mew...and poor chistina, I can imagine how you feel!

5. Mar 1, 2008 #4

~christina~

Gold Member

I don't think it will since it's his nail itself but I don't want him bouncing off the walls. (he literally does this)

I used to have a dog...and his nail was black too. We didn't clip his nails since we didn't do it when he was a puppy and so he wasn't used to it. I'm not sure exactly how a groomer would do it though if it's own owner can't clip them.

When I volunteered at an animal hospital they actually put the cat asleep and then clipped their nails. I feel that if you do this when they are young such as with my cat, it's not so much of a battle with them.

My kitty's an indoor kitty so no trees for him. ^___^

6. Mar 1, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm always afraid of clipping too short. Poor thing. :frown:

7. Mar 1, 2008 #6
    I'm very careful just to clip the sharp tips off. I feel for you, christina, I'd be heartsick. One thing I might suggest is just keeping an eye on that claw to make sure it doesn't get infected. Kitty litter boxes are bad places for open wounds. I think I'd keep cleaning the tip of that claw with a little bit of mild soap for a few days just to make sure.

8. Mar 1, 2008 #7
    I tried clipping my dog's claws once. Got too close on the very first one, it started bleeding, and I never attempted to clip his claws again. I don't want to hurt him. :(

9. Mar 1, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's somewhat like breaking a fingernail into the quick. It'll sting for a while, but if you've gotten the bleeding stopped, it should be fine. She's just going to be mad at you for a while.

I don't think you can actually keep a bandage on a cat without wrapping it all the way up to its body like a mummy. :biggrin:

10. Mar 1, 2008 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One should never have to clip a cats claws. They will look after them themselves if you get them adequate equipment.

11. Mar 1, 2008 #10

~christina~

Gold Member

Thanks for the tip but I'm not sure I want to wash it with soap though since that would proably open the wound again.

like my furniture? :bugeye:

He has a scratching box which I purchased from the store...but I don't want him clawing up my lap when he kneads me, thus he needs his claws clipped.

I clipped his nail halfway, heard him yowl, saw it bleed and stopped before the nail was cut off. He was fine the last time I did this and it was worse last time since I think I made a few nails bleed...:cry:

I don't know if he's mad at me since he's sleeping at the moment.:smile:

:rofl: -> imagining how that'd look

You'd be surprised at how much my cat will tolerate. (he wore a sweater that belonged to a teddybear, for a whole year..untill he licked it into a fuzzy mess and I had to dispose of it)

12. Mar 2, 2008 #11
    whats so bad about letting cats lick their wounds?

13. Mar 2, 2008 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've never tried clipping a cat's claws. They retract their claws so they don't really need it. Give him a scratching pad or scratching post work to protect your furniture. If they've gotten used to scratching your furniture, there's some odorless (to humans) product you can spray on it to discourage the cat from scratching it.

I've clipped my dog's nail too short once. It's not serious and a styptic pencil will stop the bleeding (good since you don't really want them to track blood around the house). As long as they're used to it, dogs are pretty easy to clip, even after clipping one too short. Even with black claws, just feel for a little notch and stay outside of that.

Mine's pretty used to me messing with her feet. I really don't like her tracking mud and snow through the house, so if it's bad outside I have to clean her paws off when she comes in. With long hair, she tends to get little clumps of ice between her toes.

The hair dryer is a completely different story. It was pretty funny the first time I gave her a bath in the winter. The hair dryer totally freaked her out. She's finally got to the point where she doesn't fight it, but she's definitely not happy.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  14. Mar 2, 2008 #13
    I don't think you should put a plaster on it- unless you're afraid of it getting infected.
    Anyway, licking it clean is not problem to me?

15. Mar 2, 2008 #14

Astronuc

I've clipped the claws but I've been careful to avoid the root. I learned the procedure from a vet. We have a special nail trimmer.

Our cats are indoors so they don't have the opportunity to wear down the tips which get very sharp.

You handled it appropriately.

The nails are shed anyway so it's OK to trim them. It's the shedding process where the outer layer of nail separates, it irritates the softer tissue sorrounding it. Cats usually bite at the nails or 'scratch' carpet or fabric which helps them remove the outer layer of nail.

16. Mar 2, 2008 #15
    >_>..... it's their nature...

17. Mar 2, 2008 #16
    Peticure

Anybody tried this?

Peticure

18. Mar 2, 2008 #17

Astronuc

I'd ask a vet. Looking at the video, how does one know when to stop grinding. I can actually see the tissure under the nail with our cats, do it's easy to trim. The dogs nails are black to it's not possible to see the soft tissue, however I can trim about 1 mm and that's sufficient.

19. Mar 2, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you don't know where to put the clippers, you don't know any better when to stop filing either. :rolleyes:

At least cats have clear nails that are easy to clip. Dogs were always such a pain with their black nails. The best I could hope for was some clear nails to match the black ones to.

You have to pay attention to each nail...at least with Ember, her nails don't all grow at the same rate. Some will be super-sharp and pointy, while others look like they've barely grown since the last time I clipped them. I just take off the points, and sometimes skip a nail or two that don't look like they need any clipping at all. On cats, the shape of the nail changes a bit right where the quick starts, so even if you couldn't see the quick, you can tell where to cut. It's not so obvious on dogs...but if you don't cut a dog's nails, they can curl up under their paws and hurt them. At least cats could wait until you visit the vet if you don't mind them shredding your furniture and arms.

I'm lucky that Ember plays with her claws in. My friend's cat always has her claws out when playing, and they are SHARP! When I would cat sit for her, I couldn't play long at all, because every touch resulted in blood drawn from me. You could tell by the rest of her posture/expression that she was playing, not fighting, but my arm didn't bleed any less. That cat also absolutely REFUSED to use a scratching post, much preferring the sofa.

20. Mar 2, 2008 #19
    Another thing I am curious about this peticure is the noise it makes. They seem to have left out the sound of the grinding in the video. If it makes noise Aspen will attack it like she does the Littermaid box.

21. Mar 2, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't even think they'd tolerate the filing. I tried using an emory board to smooth off the rough edges after I clipped Ember's nails once, and she wanted NOTHING to do with that. It must feel weird for her. She'd prefer to go to the scratching post and take care of it herself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?