Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uhm goat weed

1. May 27, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2006 #2
    What, no peer reviewed research? That "health article" reads like a paid commercial - all testimonials and no substance. Love the "it's been around for 2,000 years, so it works!" part.

4. May 27, 2006 #3

Evo

What, you don't trust the Discovery Channel? Like they would do something just for ratings??? :biggrin:

I personally have no need for goat weed since I don't have a real life.

5. May 27, 2006 #4
    If the Discovery Channel wants to join forces with quacks to scam money out of the gullible or desperate, it's very disturbing, though not a surprise. They used to be for teaching science to the public, not deceiving them for profit.

6. May 27, 2006 #5

Evo

It's sad, isn't it?

I can't remember the last time I watched something of value on there.

7. May 28, 2006 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmm.. I have a new cheese idea now. Goat-weed-enhanced goat-cheese: the viagara of cheeses. We'll market it as a "hard cheese".

ok, that's it. I'm changing my major to marketing.

8. May 28, 2006 #7
    Just out of curiousity, how exactly did Discovery Channel lose its credibility?
    What does/did it do? :redface:

9. May 28, 2006 #8
    I love the discovery channel, they have American Chopper, American Hot rod, Deadliest Catch, good ole blue collar jobs.

Man, I'm turning into a redneck, huh? :biggrin:

10. May 28, 2006 #9
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11. May 28, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This stuff is sold everywhere now. Incredible.

12. May 28, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The IT guy for our department is a firm believer in "natural supplements." You should see the pile of pills he takes with his lunch every day! :yuck: Of course, none of the faculty buy into that stuff, so we all give him a hard time over it, and we've all taken our turn poking our head into the lunchroom while he's choking down all those pills to say, "Be careful of the horny goat weed!" He might not need so many supplements if they weren't the part of his diet that most resembled a vegetable. :rolleyes:

13. May 28, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:redface: :shy: :uhh: I've gotten hooked on Deadliest Catch. Those guys are just plain nuts. But, hey, now I can identify the difference between Oppies and Tanners. :approve: I can be a snow crab connoisseur. (I'm ashamed to admit it, but I think I keep watching in the hope that someone will fall overboard...it's horrible, and I know I don't really ever wish it to happen to anyone, but I just have this morbid fascination with the show thinking it's bound to happen and wondering if they'd actually show it if it did :frown:).

14. May 29, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The thing that gets me is that the Billy Goat Weed promises to make one "as horny as a billy goat". Now, I have seen horny billy goats, and I don't see any advantage in walking in circles stiff legged, while peeing on my beard.

15. May 29, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Especially if there aren't any nanny goats around to appreciate it. :rofl:

16. May 29, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

And yet, strangely enough, I can envision that quite clearly.

17. May 29, 2006 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Envisioning it is easy. It's the uninvisioning that's the hard part. That's an image that will stick with you.

18. May 29, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Too bad this didn't appear a couple of weeks ago. I could have Photoshopped one up and entered it in the 'Things that go bump in the night' contest.

19. May 31, 2006 #18
    Discovery Channel? What's that?

Oh, you must mean the Autoshop channel. I can see how you might make that mistake.

20. May 31, 2006 #19

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I don't think I'd want to eat anything, much less weed that was 2000 years old.

Why can't some clever American start a rumour that nuclear waste is an aphrodisiac, even better than Rhino horns? Then we could sell the stuff to China.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?