1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uk and mit

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    Hi I’m just about to start my A Levels in the UK and for my GCSE's I got

English Lang B
    English Lit B
    Maths A
    Science A*
    Additional Science A*
    RE B
    Statistics B
    IT (Diploma Worth 4 GCSE's) A
    Graphic Products B
    Engineering Level 2 BETC Distinction (Worth 2 GCSE @ A*)

I’m going to do at A Level and predicted

Computing A
    Maths A/B
    Physics A
    Electronics A

With that could I get into somewhere like MIT to do Electonic Engineering/Computer Sciences as i learnt C at the age of 14

Cheers Sam

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    Not without extensive extracurricular activities, research/internships, or participation in competitions. The standards for Americans are almost perfect grades plus a lot of extras, and their standards for the few internationals they admit are even higher. So no, not without a lot of extra work because for MIT, perfect grades don't guarantee or even give you good odds at getting a spot unless you supplement it.

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    extracurricular activities: i run my own programming company which makes about $200,000 proft a year is that ok

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4
    Running your own company should definitely help. But you should probably take a look at http://web.mit.edu/registrar/stats/geo/index.html to get some idea of the odds though. There are currently 6 undergrad students from the UK at MIT, which means they admit 1-2 per year on average.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Apr 8, 2009 #5
    "Is that ok"?

Why wouldn't you mention this in your first post? Do you feel that running a software company that nets $200K (UK) in profit is not important to disclose when asking about your chances of getting into MIT?

You mention "per year", so I'm assuming you've made around $200K for more than one year. Well done. If you are still unsure - yes, you should mention that on your application to MIT. It's a pretty decent extracurricular activity.

7. Apr 8, 2009 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree - if you've made > $400,000 running a software company ($200k/year for more than one year), you should mention it. Of course, this can all be easily checked - and you should expect them to.

8. Apr 8, 2009 #7
    If you were making a hundred grand a year at 18, why on earth would you want to go to university. Apart from garbages and giggles.

9. Apr 8, 2009 #8
    If he is just past GCSE's the OP must be around 15-16, he said he only learned C at 14. So he has learnt C and built a 200k company in just over a year? I can't help but doubt this

10. Apr 8, 2009 #9
    Oh I doubt it too.

It just got me wondering, why would anyone go to university if they were earining 100 grand a year. Apart from 'for the hell of it'.

If I had a company that turned me 100 grand a year. I'd probably become a baker.

11. Apr 8, 2009 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you want to go to MIT? There are British universities that are as good if not better than MIT, and will cost a fraction of the price!

12. Apr 10, 2009 #11
    Go to Portsmouth University like I did.

13. Apr 10, 2009 #12

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I agree, Imperial College of London is a fine school

14. Apr 10, 2009 #13
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  15. Apr 10, 2009 #14

Was this in jest?

16. Apr 11, 2009 #15
    No.

Most people go to university to get a good job, and earn lots of cash in their chosen profession.

So lets see, he can put the £100 thousand a year business in programming on hold to go to university for what, 4 years, to learn wonderful things about computers.

To then graduate and attempt to get a job in something like progamming that pays lots of money, maybe even a 100 thousnd a year or so.

yes, indeed if that is the case it makes PERFECT sensse.

17. Apr 11, 2009 #16
    As many people have said, there are fine institutions in the UK for you. If everything is as it seems, just take a look down the list of Russell Group universities and pick a few to apply to.

18. Apr 12, 2009 #17
    If you are only motivated by money then there is no reason for you to go to University. But it's a great way to meet a wide variety of people and to learn new things.

The B's in the humanities subjects, especially English, are rather worrying. If you apply to Oxbridge and other top universities you should demonstrate that you have made some effort to improve in these areas. Having made a few bucks through hacking up some C code and selling it will not impress them that much. Some humility about your weaknesses and evidence that you have made some attempt to fix them might help. I recommend a course of great Victorian novels -- Dickens, Austen, Gaskell ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook