AS Level Maths: Tips and Resources for C1 Exam in January

• Thread starter Freddy_Turnip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary, the AS Level Maths C1 exam is a challenging test that requires a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus concepts. To succeed, students should focus on practicing past papers and utilizing resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and review courses. It is also important to manage time effectively during the exam and to carefully read and interpret each question before attempting to solve it. By following these tips and utilizing available resources, students can increase their chances of achieving a high score on the AS Level Maths C1 exam in January.
Freddy_Turnip
Hi,

Anyone got any tips or resources I can use for C1 AS level maths. It's coming up in january...:eek:

Turnip...:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're doing Edexcel then buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/043551122X/?tag=pfamazon01-20,

Work through it all. Guaranteed A or A* (whatever it is nowadays, I took mine a few years ago). Maths is about worked examples and practise. This book has lots of worked examples, and only makes you practice questions that will come up on the exam, as it's the official revision guide. It's only 60 pages so you should be able to get through it all in a few weeks.

Buy these books for all modules (don't bother with the textbook) and you'll get an A. Also, take further Maths, i can't even tell you how much it will help for a Physics degree - it's the easy road to getting a first to be honest.

Do as many past papers as you can - also be wary of the guide posted above as the syllabus has changed a lot in the past year, some bits might not be relevent.

Personally I just completed all of the past papers & managed to achieve 100 on c1 & c2, it's the key in my oppinion.

Also, do you take further maths?

Thanks for replying.

I am doing the MEI OCR AS level Maths and I'm doing it one night a week at a further education college.

I'd like to do further Maths but have Googled around a bit and can't see any colleges that do it in my area of Portsmouth, Hampshire.

As I'm currently out of work I am spending a lot of time studying. I have done a few past papers and am in the 80 - 86% range but want to get it up to 100%. ~Were yo notified of your percentage in your C1 exam - I thought you'd just be notified of the grade. I believe 80%+ is an A. An A* is awarded for the A2 level modules.

I love maths, it's a good discipline and I like the goal of exams to aim for.

Freddy_Turnip said:
Thanks for replying.

I am doing the MEI OCR AS level Maths and I'm doing it one night a week at a further education college.

I'd like to do further Maths but have Googled around a bit and can't see any colleges that do it in my area of Portsmouth, Hampshire.

As I'm currently out of work I am spending a lot of time studying. I have done a few past papers and am in the 80 - 86% range but want to get it up to 100%. ~Were yo notified of your percentage in your C1 exam - I thought you'd just be notified of the grade. I believe 80%+ is an A. An A* is awarded for the A2 level modules.

I love maths, it's a good discipline and I like the goal of exams to aim for.

Yes edexel give you your UMS scores (out of 100).

In order to achieve and A* in maths you need to get an average of 90% or above on the C3 & C4 modules, so 180/200 + on those papers.

I agree about maths, it's really neat.

Good luck anyway!

Just another quick question. Is there much difference between AQA, Edexcel and OCR MEI?

Some people claim that MEI is more difficult but I've no evidence to support that and I doubt it's true...

there should be no difference at all really other than in the specifications (i took Edexcel myself)

I took the c1 exam on monday. it was pretty hard - and all the others thought so too. Will have to wait is it 2 months for the grade?

Decision Maths D1 next - how did anyone find this - it looks very computer sciencey.

Hi,

I got an A, and 92 points - I think this is UMS points.:biggrin:

Well done Freddy:biggrin:

1. What is the format of the AS Level Maths C1 exam?

The AS Level Maths C1 exam consists of two sections: a multiple choice section and a written section. The multiple choice section has 25 questions and is worth 25 marks, while the written section has 4-6 questions and is worth 75 marks. The exam lasts for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

2. What are some useful resources for preparing for the C1 exam?

Some useful resources for preparing for the C1 exam include past papers, revision guides, and online practice questions. The exam board's website may also have helpful resources and study materials.

3. How should I approach studying for the C1 exam?

It is important to start studying early and regularly, rather than cramming at the last minute. Make sure to understand the concepts and practice solving various types of questions. It can also be helpful to form a study group with classmates or seek help from a tutor if needed.

4. What are some tips for tackling the multiple choice section of the C1 exam?

Read each question carefully and make sure to show all working out. Eliminate obviously incorrect answers and then carefully consider the remaining options. It can also be helpful to use estimation and plugging in numbers to check your answer.

5. How can I improve my performance on the written section of the C1 exam?

Practice writing out full solutions and showing all working out. Make sure to use clear and concise explanations and include relevant diagrams or graphs if needed. It can also be helpful to review past papers and mark schemes to understand the expectations and common mistakes to avoid.