UK Election: Hopes, Fears & Predictions

• News
  • Thread starter icvotria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary: I think the Liberal Democrats have a good chance of winning. They've been campaigning hard and I think people are fed up with the Tories. I also think that Labour may lose because the public are really angry with them right now. Tony Blair has definitely earned a lot of hatred over the years, and I think that the public will express that anger at the polls. In summary, everyone is hoping for a Labour win, but fearing a Conservative one. Tony Blair looks suspiciously like Satan to some people. Tony Blair is a great guy, but some people fear that he may have committed crimes while in office. I hope the Lib Dems win, but I think the most likely outcome is a hung parliament.
icvotria
What's everyone's hopes/fears/predictions etc about the coming election in the UK? I hope that Labour don't get in, but I fear and predict that they will :mad: . Tony Blair looks suspiciously like Satan to me. It looks like there'll be a pretty big swing to the Lib Dems. I just read about this ICM poll that showed that if people thought Lib Dem could get in in their constituency, 39% would vote for them, 31% Labour and 26% Conservatives.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think TB is a great guy…

But I hope the conservatives win.

GENIERE said:
I think TB is a great guy….
:bugeye:
He's the biggest creep in the whole world. And his wife is a troll.
GENIERE said:
But I hope the conservatives win.
:bugeye: :bugeye: I'm glad you're not voting :smile: Seriously though, I don't think the Conservatives stand much of a chance in this election. I think (hope?) the most likely outcome after Labour getting in again is a hung parliament. Mind you, I read a lefty paper that's pushing for the Lib Dems.

icvotria said:
Tony Blair looks suspiciously like Satan to me.

You've seen Satan?

Pengwuino said:
You've seen Satan?
Only once, at the prescriptions counter in Sainsbury's. He was buying some lip balm.

I certainly hope that Labour win the election again and I think that they are the only party who can possible win out right. However, I have no idea what exatly will happen on the day as to how many seats anyone can get. It could turn out that Labour have an even bigger majority, though very unlikely. It may also happen that there is a hung Parliament. Personally I'd like to see a strong Labour party with a substantial majority of not less than 60 or 70. I would also like to see a much stronger Lib Dem party, but a substanially weaker Tory party. I can't see the Lib Dems over taking the Tories in this election, but a good showing by the first and a poor showing by the second may be all that is needed to make it happen come the next election.

Persoanlly I have voted the Labour party candidate in my area and hopefully people will vote for their Labour party candidate come tomorrow.

What is the chance of Blair hanging from the lampost ?

Labour will be back in. Which is a pity because I think they lost a lot of votes in the past few weeks purely with the MG Rover fiasco, but I don't think it's enough to get them out of office.

I've always lived in safe Lib Dem areas and have always voted that way (esp. for their promised abolition of university tuition fees), but I've only been eligible to vote in local government and council elections up until now. As for running the country, the Lib Dem figures only add up marginally better than the Tories, but that's not saying much anyway.

In any case, all of the parties have sent me stupid 'personalised' letters, trying to make them look like real handwriting. To me, this is deliberate misconception, which strikes me as being a dirty tactic.

I'm going to spoil my paper tomorrow.

http://www.spoilyourvote.co.uk

Last edited:
I've heard rumors of Margaret Thatcher staging a coup...

wasteofo2 said:
I've heard rumors of Margaret Thatcher staging a coup...
:smile: :smile:

Not that it would really stop her if she wasn't, but is Margaret Thatcher still alive? If she isn't, I think that would make the coup all the more interesting and authoritative. It doesn't take anyone particularly special to kill off government officials and claim power, but if they're undead, then it's something unique and really powerful.

She's alive, and she's still an active tory. And John Prescott would twat her if she got anywhere near Downing Street.

Well, today is election day. I have no idea who to vote for... I may go spoil my ballott paper if I can't come up with a decision by this evening.

brewnog said:
She's alive, and she's still an active tory. And John Prescott would twat her if she got anywhere near Downing Street.

A good right hand hook will knock her out :rolleyes:

I would love to see Liberal Democrates to win.

I just spoilt my paper. I was thinking of putting in something witty like "asking me to vote here is like asking if I'd rather shag my gran or a leper", but I just ended up putting a cross in every box and just writing 'spoilt paper' across the ballot. I think the officials were a bit confused by the length of time it took me to vote, but hey.

It's disgusting how easily manipulated people are. I remember the days when his cabinet was walking out and people were calling for his public execution, now everyone's all "Oh, tony blair's not that bad, he only followed bush into an illegal war and got british citizens killed for no good reason".

Who ever gets elected should take note of Syria do the right thing and pull out of N. Ireland. Sorry the bombing this morning got me thinking its still a problem.

ptex said:
Who ever gets elected should take note of Syria do the right thing and pull out of N. Ireland. Sorry the bombing this morning got me thinking its still a problem.

This would only make matters worse. Our only military presence there is for peace-keeping purposes. If we pulled out, the fighting between the Unionists and Republicans resident in both Northern Ireland and the R.O.I would just kick off again.

brewnog said:
This would only make matters worse. Our only military presence there is for peace-keeping purposes. If we pulled out, the fighting between the Unionists and Republicans resident in both Northern Ireland and the R.O.I would just kick off again.

Thank you Mr. Al-Sahaf

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Do you just propose that military presence should be withdrawn from Northern Ireland, and for the UK to just let militant and terrorist groups to continue as they have done for the past 30 years?

Terrorist? What terrorist? And yes I would propose that the Brits withdraw.

My other prediction, should the Torries somehow constrain Mrs. Thatcher, is:

Labour: lose approx 16 seats
Lib Dems: gain approx 5 seats
Conservatives: gain approx 11 seats

ptex said:
Terrorist? What terrorist? And yes I would propose that the Brits withdraw.

yeah i been wondering the same, seems fashionable nowadays to describe anyone who opposes you a terrorist.indoctrination works preety good in UK.

Hooray looks like Tony is going to win let's dress up little Harry Potter as a Nazi and have a big party.

Stoned, Ptex, I really don't think you understand the issue.

As it stands, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. Whether this is right or wrong is not up for discussion. Many (over half?) of its inhabitants want it to remain as part of the UK, the remainder want it to join with the Republic of Ireland. This is not a government decision, it's about the people who live there. The current consensus is that the inhabitants of Northern Ireland prefer to be living in a relatively peaceful state than to go back 10, 20 or 30 years and have car bombs going off outside their schools and churches every other day.

The people living in Northern Ireland who wish for it to remain part of the United Kingdom haven't just moved there from Great Britain and claimed it as theirs, they've been living there since the 12th Century. It's not like Great Britain particularly wants Northern Ireland to be part of the United Kingdom, in fact most people in Great Britain couldn't care less.

Stoned, it seems you're jumping on a bandwagon here. I wasn't calling people who oppose me terrorists, I was making reference to actual terrorist organisations who would be prepared to put a bomb outside your grandma's house if they thought she was a Catholic/Protestant (delete as applicable).

Oh, and Ptex, I invoke Godwin's rule. :smile:

Last edited:
It is believed that just over half the people in Nortehrn Ireland wish it to be part of the UK (no-one wants a referendum for the reasons that it would give no-one a clear mandate, even though it is part of the NI constituion that the UK will abide by a referendum, as the result of a referndum would give neither side a clear mandate, but could frutstrate future poltical goasl of both sides).

The history of Nortehrn Ireland is that it wa sgiven indepndce with the rest of Ireland but opted to join the UK (howvere even that's not quite so simple as though at the time the majority population of NI preferred to part of the UK than the ROI, the borders were gerrymandered from the traditional counties of Ulster in order to create this clear majority).

Btw the Ulster protestants arrived from Scotland (but to be fair the Scots arrived in scotland from ulster anyway) in the 1600's the early English settlers in ireland where actually generally Catholic and pro-independence.

It's simply not realistic for the UK to leave NI, indeed it would do the region little good as any pullout could lead to civil war and the loyalist paramitaries are equally as vicous and as well armed (if not more so) as the PIRA and RIRA.

As starter of this thread, I hereby declare that no one is allowed to talk about NI anymore unless they actually know what they're talking about. Apart from just one last thing, ptex, ever heard of the IRA? Let's focus our energies on wishing and wishing and hoping and praying that Tony Blair stands down as Labour leader. Hang on, that would leave us with Gordon Brown...

icvotria said:
As starter of this thread, I hereby declare that no one is allowed to talk about NI anymore unless they actually know what they're talking about.

Sorry! Anyway, he started it! :-p

icvotria said:
Let's focus our energies on wishing and wishing and hoping and praying that Tony Blair stands down as Labour leader. Hang on, that would leave us with Gordon Brown...

Yeah, that's the problem, the question of his immediate successor. I think he's made it clear that he's not going to run the full term... Pleeeease not Ruth Kelly, pleeease!

Who would win a hypothetical wrestling match, Brown or Prescott?

icvotria said:
As starter of this thread, I hereby declare that no one is allowed to talk about NI anymore unless they actually know what they're talking about. Apart from just one last thing, ptex, ever heard of the IRA? Let's focus our energies on wishing and wishing and hoping and praying that Tony Blair stands down as Labour leader. Hang on, that would leave us with Gordon Brown...

The IRA is that anything like Oglaigh na hEireann?

Im done.

Last edited:
In true WWF (ahem) WWE style, Prescott would gain an early lead, his arial tricks astounding a cheering audience, when, omigod, what's Brown just pulled out from under the ring? A steel chair! ("Boooo!Yay!") He hits Prescott across the back with it. But he doesn't go down, and Brown raises the chair again...Prescott spins round just in time to kick the oncoming chair, sending Brown stumbling backwards into the corner ("Boooo!Yay!") With a stunning power bomb, it looks as though Prescott's knocked Brown out. 1...2...3...4...(Brown moans)...6...7...8...9...10 He's out! Prescott wins the match! (I was planning to do a much more elaborate match, with Tony Blair running out with a carton of eggs and stuff but I couldn't be bothered : )) Btw did you ever notice that John Prescott and Jaba the Hut bear a striking resemblance?

Last edited:
ptex said:
The IRA is that anything like Oglaigh na hEireann?
Smart alec. :-p

Projections: Blair may be wounded winner

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7706165/?GT1=6542

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 9:00 p.m. ET May 5, 2005

LONDON - Tony Blair’s Labour Party won an unprecedented third term in office but with a sharply reduced majority in Parliament that could set the stage for Blair to be replaced by a party rival, according to exit poll projections broadcast as vote counting began in Britain’s national election Thursday.

With a projected 66-seat majority, Blair could face difficulties controlling a faction of his party deeply disillusioned with his leadership, especially over the war in Iraq, and ready for a new prime minister such as Treasury chief Gordon Brown.

...The margin of a Labour victory could have consequences for Britain’s “special relationship” with the United States.

The battering that Blair took over Iraq during the campaign suggested that any future British leader will probably be wary of backing Washington militarily in the face of hostile domestic opinion.

Dire forecasts emerge
Some political observers have offered dire forecasts for Blair's third term should the projections prove true. “Anything under 70 will be seen as a sign of lack in confidence in Blair and reassurance for Brown,” said Stephen Wilks, politics professor at Exeter University, referring to the number of Labour seats.
So icvotria, it may not be that bad. Blair may win the battle, but then lose the war (like someone else we know).

Yuck, he's on tv. I hate the way he talks, he's so patronising and contrived and hideously earnest. And I hate his wife. And I hate the way he ignores his wife. I hope he stands down tomorrow morning, first thing.

icvotria said:
Yuck, he's on tv. I hate the way he talks, he's so patronising and contrived and hideously earnest. And I hate his wife. And I hate the way he ignores his wife. I hope he stands down tomorrow morning, first thing.
Does his voice make you cringe, and grimace, and scream "please shut up and go away?" And it's even worse if you look at his horrible face, isn't it? I know what you're talking about. :smile:

For the Brits out there, what is the likelyhood/feasability that Blair might not continue on as the PM? What're the procedures for a party changing their Prime Minister? Would he have to step down, would there only have to be a majority within the Labour Party supporting a new PM, would there have to be a majority in the entire Parlaiment supporting a new PM, would Blair have to be impeached - or could they just decide they didn't want him anymore as the PM but let him keep his seat and get a new guy they like better?