Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UK election.

1. May 2, 2005 #1
    What's everyone's hopes/fears/predictions etc about the coming election in the UK? I hope that Labour don't get in, but I fear and predict that they will :mad: . Tony Blair looks suspiciously like Satan to me. It looks like there'll be a pretty big swing to the Lib Dems. I just read about this ICM poll that showed that if people thought Lib Dem could get in in their constituency, 39% would vote for them, 31% Labour and 26% Conservatives.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

I think TB is a great guy…

But I hope the conservatives win.
  4. May 3, 2005 #3
    He's the biggest creep in the whole world. And his wife is a troll.
    :bugeye: :bugeye: I'm glad you're not voting :rofl: Seriously though, I don't think the Conservatives stand much of a chance in this election. I think (hope?) the most likely outcome after Labour getting in again is a hung parliament. Mind you, I read a lefty paper that's pushing for the Lib Dems.
  5. May 3, 2005 #4

Gold Member

You've seen Satan?
  6. May 3, 2005 #5
    Only once, at the prescriptions counter in Sainsbury's. He was buying some lip balm.
  7. May 4, 2005 #6
    I certainly hope that Labour win the election again and I think that they are the only party who can possible win out right. However, I have no idea what exatly will happen on the day as to how many seats anyone can get. It could turn out that Labour have an even bigger majority, though very unlikely. It may also happen that there is a hung Parliament. Personally I'd like to see a strong Labour party with a substantial majority of not less than 60 or 70. I would also like to see a much stronger Lib Dem party, but a substanially weaker Tory party. I can't see the Lib Dems over taking the Tories in this election, but a good showing by the first and a poor showing by the second may be all that is needed to make it happen come the next election.

Persoanlly I have voted the Labour party candidate in my area and hopefully people will vote for their Labour party candidate come tomorrow.
  8. May 4, 2005 #7
    What is the chance of Blair hanging from the lampost ?
  9. May 4, 2005 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Labour will be back in. Which is a pity because I think they lost a lot of votes in the past few weeks purely with the MG Rover fiasco, but I don't think it's enough to get them out of office.

I've always lived in safe Lib Dem areas and have always voted that way (esp. for their promised abolition of university tuition fees), but I've only been eligible to vote in local government and council elections up until now. As for running the country, the Lib Dem figures only add up marginally better than the Tories, but that's not saying much anyway.

In any case, all of the parties have sent me stupid 'personalised' letters, trying to make them look like real handwriting. To me, this is deliberate misconception, which strikes me as being a dirty tactic.

I'm going to spoil my paper tomorrow.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  10. May 4, 2005 #9
    I've heard rumors of Margaret Thatcher staging a coup...
  11. May 4, 2005 #10
    :rofl: :rofl:
  12. May 4, 2005 #11
    Not that it would really stop her if she wasn't, but is Margaret Thatcher still alive? If she isn't, I think that would make the coup all the more interesting and authoritative. It doesn't take anyone particularly special to kill off government officials and claim power, but if they're undead, then it's something unique and really powerful.
  13. May 5, 2005 #12

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She's alive, and she's still an active tory. And John Prescott would twat her if she got anywhere near Downing Street.
  14. May 5, 2005 #13

Gold Member

Well, today is election day. I have no idea who to vote for... I may go spoil my ballott paper if I can't come up with a decision by this evening.
  15. May 5, 2005 #14
    A good right hand hook will knock her out :rolleyes:

I would love to see Liberal Democrates to win.
  16. May 5, 2005 #15

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just spoilt my paper. I was thinking of putting in something witty like "asking me to vote here is like asking if I'd rather shag my gran or a leper", but I just ended up putting a cross in every box and just writing 'spoilt paper' across the ballot. I think the officials were a bit confused by the length of time it took me to vote, but hey.
  17. May 5, 2005 #16
    It's disgusting how easily manipulated people are. I remember the days when his cabinet was walking out and people were calling for his public execution, now everyone's all "Oh, tony blair's not that bad, he only followed bush into an illegal war and got british citizens killed for no good reason".
  18. May 5, 2005 #17
    Who ever gets elected should take note of Syria do the right thing and pull out of N. Ireland. Sorry the bombing this morning got me thinking its still a problem.
  19. May 5, 2005 #18

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This would only make matters worse. Our only military presence there is for peace-keeping purposes. If we pulled out, the fighting between the Unionists and Republicans resident in both Northern Ireland and the R.O.I would just kick off again.
  20. May 5, 2005 #19
    Thank you Mr. Al-Sahaf
  21. May 5, 2005 #20

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Do you just propose that military presence should be withdrawn from Northern Ireland, and for the UK to just let militant and terrorist groups to continue as they have done for the past 30 years?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?