Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UK, GB, England?

1. Jul 29, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always wonder how to properly distinguise between the United Kingdom, Great Britain, and England?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2003 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

England is a (the main) constituent country/kingdom of the UK, the UK is the name of the country covering England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Great Britain is the largest Island in the British Isles which contains the mainlands of England, Wales and Scotland.

4. Jul 29, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ahh, so great britain doesn't include northern ireland? But then I wonder why they write UK in publications as the country of origin.. why don't they say England (or Wales, Scotland, N Ireland for that matter)?

5. Jul 29, 2003 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because the UK is the nation-state, so that is our offical nationality. But you shopuld be careful to make sure that you don't call someone from Wales/Scotland/NI English, as they may take offence.

6. Jul 29, 2003 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, so you say that the UK is your nationality, but that wouldn't mean that a person from the UK is British right? Since N-Ireland doesn't belong to Great Britain.. so what do you call a person from the UK?

I am ashamed of asking this, since you are my neighbour, but exactly how are England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland united in the UK and why does N-Ireland not belong to Great Britain?

7. Jul 29, 2003 #6

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, if your from Northern Ireland your still British, Graet Britain is just the largest Island in the British Isles (though yur not British f your from Ireland).

Tony Blair is the prime minster of the UK, Scotland and Northern Ireland recently got there own parliments (though they both still send MPs to Westminster which is the parliament and executive power for the whole of the UK) and have heads of these parliaments. Wales also recently obtained what is calle a 'regional assembly', howevr this has far less powers than the parliments in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Obviously the exact constitutional situation and history is complex to say the least but bascially the UK is governed as one but some powers are devolved to regional instituions.

8. Jul 29, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks so much for explaining that, I haven't been in Europe for three years now and kinda lost track of the whole situation :)

9. Jul 29, 2003 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I believe that a very long time ago the island that is now called Ireland was known as Little Britain or Lesser Britain, because it was smaller than Great Brittan.

Did you know that Homer wrote of the "pretonic" islands?

10. Jul 29, 2003 #9
    Not at all unusual. We have a 3 tiered system of government in the us, of City government, state(or province if you prefer)government, and federal, or national government. City governments have the least power, federal the most.

11. Jul 30, 2003 #10
    How does the parliament system work in Holland?

Is there any difference between Holland and the Netherlands?

What are the main taxes in Holland?

12. Jul 30, 2003 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those are a lot of questions, let me start out by saying that Holland are just two provinces (north and south) which historically played an important role in the economy of the country.

How does the parliament work.. I have no clue how to explain that in English.. we are based on a Democratic Monarchy, if that term exists. The Queen is the head of the country and chooses the prime minister. That prime minister will choose a bunch of ministers which will form the first chamber. Than there is a second chamber with political figures chosen by the country. Pretty much the same as the UK?

The main taxes? What do you mean?

13. Jul 30, 2003 #12
    In UK, it is a democracy in which politicians are voted for by the public. The prime minister is the leader of the ruling political party. This is not associated with the Queen at all other than for ceremonial reasons only.
    The second chamber is the House of Lords, in which Lords are appointed. This gives a bit more stability.

I mean which taxes do you have to pay if you are working in Holland. Which % of wages gets directly paid to the state? What other taxes are there?

14. Jul 30, 2003 #13
    So that it is correct that the queen and rest of the royal house have no actual politcal power?

15. Jul 30, 2003 #14

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the Queen's power is ceremonial only and none of the royals can even vote in an election and re also forbidden (this isn't a law more like a self-enforced set of guidline) from making any statements that could be construed as political.

16. Jul 30, 2003 #15
    The royal family could get rid of the governement if they wanted too, but the likelyhood of that happening is very very slim.

17. Jul 30, 2003 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, good question.. I had some small jobs to get me through college and the taxes are automatically paid for those, I never paid much attention to that. I got my real first job in the United States and have been dealing with the taxes over there.. City, State, Federal.

18. Jul 30, 2003 #17

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmmm, I don't ever recall seeing the episode where the Simpsons go to the UK...

19. Oct 15, 2003 #18

sp

England, Britain, UK

It annoys me how much people use Great Britain, England UK etc to all mean the same thing, and have you ever noticed the difference between a British and UK flag?

20. Oct 15, 2003 #19

jimmy p

Gold Member

Yeah i actually prefer to be called english than British tho British is much more correct seeing as i am half Gibraltarian. However thre is technically no 'British' Flag. On the Union Flag (it is not really called the union jack) there is the English Cross and the Scottish Flag on there. No Welsh flag or N.I flag. In fact the N.I flag is just the St. Georges Cross with a crown and some hand in the middle which shows they pledge loyalty to England and not Britain...how odd

21. Oct 15, 2003 #20

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Yeah, haven't you seen the movie Johnny English?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?