Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UK graduate system?

  1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    Hi, i know that in the USA many people enroll into graduate school for a career change. For example majored in industrial engineering and then did a masters in mechanical engineering. Because the backgrounds are different, you are able to take undergraduate courses to "catch up".
    Is this a viable option in the UK too? Im afraid because graduate programs take much less time in the UK than in USA

  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2
    Yes it is, and it's very common.

    I'm from the UK and I'm doing my PhD in chemical engineering. Some of the people I work with (who are also doing PhD's in chemical engineering) have backgrounds in electrical engineering, chemistry and mechanical engineering.

    And you're right about it being shorter in the UK too. My undergraduate degree was only 3 years long, after which I immediately started my PhD (only 3 years long too).
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook