UK Graduate System: Career Change Options?

In summary, it is common in both the USA and UK for individuals to enroll in graduate school for a career change. In the UK, it is possible to take undergraduate courses to catch up on a different background and graduate programs are typically shorter.
piyowashere
Hi, i know that in the USA many people enroll into graduate school for a career change. For example majored in industrial engineering and then did a masters in mechanical engineering. Because the backgrounds are different, you are able to take undergraduate courses to "catch up".
Is this a viable option in the UK too? I am afraid because graduate programs take much less time in the UK than in USA

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
piyowashere said:
Hi, i know that in the USA many people enroll into graduate school for a career change. For example majored in industrial engineering and then did a masters in mechanical engineering. Because the backgrounds are different, you are able to take undergraduate courses to "catch up".
Is this a viable option in the UK too? I am afraid because graduate programs take much less time in the UK than in USA

thanks

Yes it is, and it's very common.

I'm from the UK and I'm doing my PhD in chemical engineering. Some of the people I work with (who are also doing PhD's in chemical engineering) have backgrounds in electrical engineering, chemistry and mechanical engineering.

And you're right about it being shorter in the UK too. My undergraduate degree was only 3 years long, after which I immediately started my PhD (only 3 years long too).

1. What are the different career change options available for graduates in the UK?

There are several career change options available for graduates in the UK, including pursuing further education, internships, graduate schemes, apprenticeships, and freelance or self-employment opportunities.

2. Is it possible to switch to a completely different field after completing a graduate degree in the UK?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a completely different field after completing a graduate degree in the UK. Many employers value transferable skills and experience, so it is important to highlight these in your job applications and interviews.

3. How can I determine which career change option is best for me?

The best way to determine which career change option is right for you is to assess your skills, interests, and goals. You can also seek advice from career counselors, attend career fairs, and network with professionals in different industries to gain a better understanding of your options.

4. Are there any resources or programs available to help with career change for UK graduates?

Yes, there are several resources and programs available to help with career change for UK graduates. These include career guidance services, job search websites, and career development programs offered by universities and organizations.

5. Can I still use my graduate degree if I decide to switch careers?

Yes, you can still use your graduate degree even if you decide to switch careers. While your degree may not directly relate to your new career, the skills and knowledge you gained can be applied in various industries and roles. Additionally, many employers value a graduate degree as a sign of dedication and intellectual ability.