1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UK masters -> US phd (US citizen)

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    US citizen here. Just finishing my masters at a top English uni and am in a bit of a dilemma on where to apply: Europe (or non-US) or US.

My case for Europe is that I've already had a near-miss offer at Max Planck (I was third on a list that had 2 spots for my prospective supervisor) and may try for that again this year, but with a different supervisor. I like the fact that I don't have to pass quals there and the program only lasts a strict 3 years before you're booted out.

The case for the US is that I wouldn't have to drastically change my lifestyle to move my stuff around to a new university. However, I'm really awfully terribly **** at exams and am scared to death of quals. I passed my British exams, but having 6 in the period of a couple weeks wasn't easy. I'd sort of like to avoid that kind of death again.

How do I handle the application process for the US? Should I email people whose projects look interesting now or do I have to wait until I'm enrolled there to start asking people to have me as a research assistant?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted