1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs UK phd advice needed.

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    Hi
    I'm not new to the forums and a long time lurker.

I've currently been teaching College level Physics since graduating from my BSc in Physics 5 years ago. When an Uni, I was unsure of myself and what I wanted to do in the future, and with very little work and effort (with was all due to my immaturity as a student) I somehow managed to get a 2:2.

Now, over the last few years, and due to the high pressures of my job, I've become a lot more responsible, and want to undertake a phd. I know this may be difficult with a 2:2 BSc, but surely some admissions staff can take into consideration what I've been up to the last few years. I really don't want to do a MSc first, but this has been told to me as advice in the past.

There is a second problem - money. I'm currently on a respectable salary, how on Earth (should I ever be accepted) deal with the huge pay cut?

Any advice or ideas is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

well, many universities were still saying to me that I should do a masters before phd, and I got a first in my undergraduate. So I think they really do prefer if you have done a masters beforehand. It is rare even for students who got a first to go straight to phd. So I think it would be difficult to do that.

Also, you might realise after a year of doing a masters that you are not so suited to research. I think that is one of the reasons why they want people to do a masters first, to make sure that they are used to being in research.

About the masters, there are some courses (such as the one I am on), where they pay for the masters, and give a stipend, and it continues on to a phd. But as you were saying, the phd stipend is still not very good pay. (better than minimum wage though).

I think there are options for doing postgraduate part-time. But I have not looked into those options. So maybe that is one way that you could continue academically, while working to keep up your income.

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3
    Samir, I'd like more info on Physics PhD programs in the UK, too.

My current stipend at an American university is roughly equivalent to £20,000, which I would hate to give up if I started a PhD program in the UK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook