UK PhD Advice: How To Pursue a PhD with a 2:2 BSc

In summary: However, there are many excellent PhD programs in the UK, and I am confident that I would be able to find a position in one of them.
samir9
Hi
I'm not new to the forums and a long time lurker.

I've currently been teaching College level Physics since graduating from my BSc in Physics 5 years ago. When an Uni, I was unsure of myself and what I wanted to do in the future, and with very little work and effort (with was all due to my immaturity as a student) I somehow managed to get a 2:2.

Now, over the last few years, and due to the high pressures of my job, I've become a lot more responsible, and want to undertake a phd. I know this may be difficult with a 2:2 BSc, but surely some admissions staff can take into consideration what I've been up to the last few years. I really don't want to do a MSc first, but this has been told to me as advice in the past.

There is a second problem - money. I'm currently on a respectable salary, how on Earth (should I ever be accepted) deal with the huge pay cut?

Any advice or ideas is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, many universities were still saying to me that I should do a masters before phd, and I got a first in my undergraduate. So I think they really do prefer if you have done a masters beforehand. It is rare even for students who got a first to go straight to phd. So I think it would be difficult to do that.

Also, you might realize after a year of doing a masters that you are not so suited to research. I think that is one of the reasons why they want people to do a masters first, to make sure that they are used to being in research.

About the masters, there are some courses (such as the one I am on), where they pay for the masters, and give a stipend, and it continues on to a phd. But as you were saying, the phd stipend is still not very good pay. (better than minimum wage though).

I think there are options for doing postgraduate part-time. But I have not looked into those options. So maybe that is one way that you could continue academically, while working to keep up your income.

Samir, I'd like more info on Physics PhD programs in the UK, too.

My current stipend at an American university is roughly equivalent to £20,000, which I would hate to give up if I started a PhD program in the UK.

1. What is a 2:2 BSc and how does it affect my chances of pursuing a PhD in the UK?

A 2:2 BSc refers to a Bachelor of Science degree with a Second-Class Lower Division, which is a classification of degree commonly used in the UK. It indicates that the student achieved an overall average grade between 50-59%. While a 2:2 BSc is not considered a high classification, it does not necessarily hinder your chances of pursuing a PhD. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, references, and personal statements when evaluating applicants.

2. What steps can I take to improve my chances of getting into a PhD program with a 2:2 BSc?

If you have a 2:2 BSc, there are several steps you can take to strengthen your application for a PhD program. These include gaining research experience through internships or volunteering, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, and writing a compelling personal statement that highlights your passion and potential for conducting research.

3. Are there any specific PhD programs that are more open to applicants with a 2:2 BSc?

While there is no definitive list of PhD programs that are more likely to accept applicants with a 2:2 BSc, it may be beneficial to target programs with less competitive admissions or those that have a particular focus on practical experience rather than academic performance. Additionally, reaching out to potential supervisors and discussing your research interests and experience may also increase your chances of acceptance.

4. Are there any funding opportunities available for PhD students with a 2:2 BSc?

Yes, there are funding opportunities available for students with a 2:2 BSc pursuing a PhD in the UK. Many universities offer scholarships and grants specifically for postgraduate students, and there are also external funding opportunities from organizations and charities. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they can be competitive.

5. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to other PhD students with higher classifications?

While having a 2:2 BSc may make your application less competitive, it does not necessarily mean you will be at a disadvantage during your PhD studies. Your success in a PhD program will depend on your dedication, hard work, and research potential. Additionally, your classification may become less important as your research experience and publications increase during your PhD studies.