UK Power Refunds: Halifax & Newcastle Postcodes Receive 13-Figure Sums

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Uk
In summary: It has different names for different numbers up to one million. I was surprised to find different naming systems of numbers in English.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I would like to share this, just because it is so funny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-60369098

1645301125628.png
Northern Powergrid is paying tens of thousands of pounds to customers hit by days of outages in November.
But a number with Halifax and Newcastle postcodes received cheques made out for 13-figure sums.
Northern Powergrid said a clerical error was to blame.

If any PF members got this refund in the mail, please let us know.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes berkeman and hutchphd
Physics news on Phys.org
Are we in the early 20th century or am I crazy?

anorlunda said:
I would like to share this, just because it is so funny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-60369098

View attachment 297333

If any PF members got this refund in the mail, please let us know.
It's interesting that the system has no fail safe to prevent excessively large cheques being printed. A cheque for, say, £20,000 might be more problematic, as it would be harder to detect after the event. And could be cashed.

Likes anorlunda
nuuskur said:
Are we in the early 20th century or am I crazy?
Worse, it's the UK.

UK friends please forgive me. That was not deserved, but I just couldn't resist the temptation. :biggrin:

• Haha
Likes nuuskur
Maybe they devaluated their currency post Brexit? :wink:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes anorlunda
PeroK said:
It's interesting that the system has no fail safe to prevent excessively large cheques being printed. A cheque for, say, £20,000 might be more problematic, as it would be harder to detect after the event. And could be cashed.

What makes you think these couldn't be cashed?

Office_Shredder said:
What makes you think these couldn't be cashed?
I doubt that Northern Powergrid has 2 trillion pounds in its account.

PeroK said:
I doubt that Northern Powergrid has 2 trillion pounds in its account.
And especially not 2 trillion pounds per customer.

I wouldn't mind that much money!

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
StevieTNZ said:
I wouldn't mind that much money!
Just put it into my interest bearing account for a few minutes, please.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
And especially not 2 trillion pounds per customer.

Seems like the bank's problem when the check bounces :)

Likes Bystander
Why would the character string 'trillion' be available to the program? Would 'octillion' be available too? What's up with that?

Last edited:
sysprog said:
Why would the character string 'trillion' be available to the program? Would 'octillion' be available too? What's up with that?
If one is writing a generic routine to convert a 64 bit signed integer scaled by a factor of 100 (hypothetically) to a text string, then one would want to go up to quadrillions. It is someone else's job to sanity-check the numbers.

Likes sysprog
jbriggs444 said:
If one is writing a generic routine to convert a 64 bit signed integer scaled by a factor of 100 (hypothetically) to a text string, then one would want to go up to quadrillions. It is someone else's job to sanity-check the numbers.
Way back when ('80s) I wrote a program that included printing a word version of counting numbers, and it stopped at 'ten thousand' ##-## in the US, for a bank, that number triggers a lot of reporting requirements.

In the '90s I did data security work for a major bank that did DP (data processing) for over 700 other banks, and I can say with confidence that their automated systems at that time could not have written a check with the word 'billion' or the word 'trillion' on it ##-## the word 'million' presented the greatest lexical order of magnitude available for such a purpose.

I acknowledge that some general-purpose routine could go into 'trillion' or 'quadrillion'; however, 'risk management' routines should/would flag such an egregious amount, and because the words for an amount on a check are supposed to be a validator for the digits, it is not reasonable for a programmer to allow 'billion' or 'trillion' in an automated check printing routine.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
The article said that the root of the error was that the power company mixed up the meter serial number field with the money amount field. If they did that, then maybe the sanity tests would have looked at the wrong field. We'll never know for sure.

sysprog said:
Never underestimate programmers.

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/33/7#subj1 by Steve Bacher <sebmb1@verizon.net>
Common Lisp, for example, has the numeric-to-English-output feature built in
to the standard format function.I wrote code to implement this in the Lisp
system that I built for the IBM mainframe in the 1980s, so I know how it
would work. Once you have established the algorithm to handle thousand,
million and billion, it is fairly straightforward to extend that to trillion
and up. My code was written to handle amounts up to a vigintillion [?],
with little effort.
He expanded my vocabulary too -- vigintillion !

Likes sysprog
anorlunda said:
Never underestimate programmers.He expanded my vocabulary too -- vigintillion !
Are you a 63 or 120 person?

I was surprised to find different naming systems of numbers in English.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/number#table
Check out the above-one-million section.

Last edited:
Likes sysprog
Likes sysprog

1. What is the UK Power Refunds program?

The UK Power Refunds program is a government initiative that aims to provide financial refunds to eligible households in certain postcodes in Halifax and Newcastle. These refunds are being issued due to overcharging by energy suppliers in these areas.

2. Who is eligible to receive a refund?

Households in specific postcodes in Halifax and Newcastle are eligible to receive a refund if they were overcharged by their energy supplier between 2013 and 2017. The exact postcodes can be found on the UK Power Refunds website.

3. How much money can eligible households receive?

Eligible households can receive a refund of up to 13 figures, which can amount to thousands of pounds. The exact amount will depend on the individual household's energy usage and the length of time they were overcharged.

4. How can I claim my refund?

If you live in one of the eligible postcodes, you may receive a letter from the UK Power Refunds program with instructions on how to claim your refund. If you do not receive a letter, you can visit the program's website and enter your postcode to see if you are eligible and how to claim your refund.

5. Is there a deadline to claim the refund?

Yes, there is a deadline to claim the refund. Eligible households must claim their refund by February 2022. After this date, the funds will be returned to the government and will no longer be available for refunds.

Back