1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UK schools

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1
    I want to do master research in UK abuot cell biology, which school rank between 5th~10th( to 12th is also ok) about cell biology in UK. thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2006 #2
    I am an Malaysian studying in China, I don't think I can put up with their contemps, some individual even spits saliva before me, sevearl my friends came to study then they left. Now i think i have to run, i don't think i can do biology master in Chines because you see, its hard to remeber every little strokes, plus I major in quatum physics-level 6- advanced, not biology. But nanotech is what i like. Introduce about ur country.
  4. Feb 5, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bath, Sheffield, York, Durham, UCL, Cambridge, Bristol, Oxford, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Dundee, Kent, St Andrews, Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham, Warwick, Imperial, and Royal Holloway are all in the top 20 for Biological Sciences, according to the Times Good University Guide.
  5. Feb 5, 2006 #4
    Which school you been to ? How was it ?
    Warwick sounds greate. I don't want verygood schools because i don't think i can get in, and i don't like them either, geting to difficult schol I wont have chances to talk to teachers they reason they busy reaserching etc. people from very good schools always look down on others and they hard to believ..
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  6. Feb 5, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't study biological science, and haven't studied at postgraduate level, but went to UMIST anyway.

Choosing between any of the top 20 will not give you much difference in quality of teaching or research, they're all very good universities and the degree you end up with will be the same (in the eyes of employers) regardless of where it's from. It's probably best to try and visit a few of your preferred choices, see what the area is like, and talk to some of the current students and staff.
  7. Feb 5, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure you know what you want? A master's program in cell biology is going to require research, so I'm not sure why you would think having faculty busy with research is a negative. That would be a positive for a graduate program. You also ask for universities with a top ranking, but then say you don't think you would be accepted into a top program. If you're interested in nanotechnology, a cell biology program is not the place to do that either. And...if you don't think your background in the subject is sufficient to be accepted to a master's program in a university in your home country, why would you think it would be easier to be accepted as a foreign student in another country?

If your major is in physics, do you have any biology or biochemistry coursework? Without high marks in several advanced biology/biochemistry courses, you aren't going to be accepted into any graduate program in cell biology. You can find out what each university requires though, and take those courses before applying. I'm just not certain your question indicates you know enough about what you're applying for to even know you really want to get a degree in cell biology.
  8. Feb 6, 2006 #7
    Thank you for your answers
    I thought 1 to 5 was the most difficult, so I chose 6 to 12 as an average.
    I didn't take many biocourses at all while studying physics, mostly taught myself, and courses I took were as short as 2 credits, sure it's not enough

I really want a cell biology master degree. I will think again and self-study more
    Again thank you MoonBear, what you say are really 'pointful'.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?