1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UK student, US grad school

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm currently an undergraduate student in the UK, and would like to go to grad school in America. I've seen a lot of people say that doing REUs is important to get into a good grad school, but undergraduate research is not very common in the UK, other than a project in the final year which really isn't research. Another thing is that all the schools I've looked at ask for three references, and I only know one professor (my tutor) who would be able to provide a meaningful reference. I have one and a half years left as an undergrad, so I will probably be able to develop a relationship with one more professor, but that would still give me only two referees. Any advice? Are there any former UK undergrads here studying in the US?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Presumably you have to do a project/dissertation in your final year, so there's a second reference. Also, final year classes are in general smaller, so you will be able to get to know a lecturer of one of those classes better than a big first year class. Actively try and talk to the lecturer: go to office hours and discuss your work. That way, you can get a more meaningful reference off him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook