Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UK Television licensing

1. Apr 26, 2013 #1
    I was reading a BBC News article about living on the cheap.

It mentioned the cost of a television license.

Tried to google and it looks like it's literal. To watch TV (own a TV)in the UK you need a license.

Does that include the "cable package" or something?

I must not understand this correctly, it's seems strange to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2013 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

In the UK, you need a TV licence to watch or record TV at the same time as it is being broadcast on conventional TV channels in the UK or Channel Islands (regardless of whether the device is actually a TV or something else). This helps fund the BBC, but it applies to all channels.

For more details, see here: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

4. Apr 26, 2013 #3
    Ah now it makes sense how BBC can be of such high quality, our Canadian equivalent is CBC.

5. Apr 26, 2013 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Apr 26, 2013 #5
    Yea at first I was taken back by it, thinking it seemed cruel & unusual.

But it actually seems like a great model.

7. Apr 26, 2013 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure that my mother spoke of requiring a radio license here in Canada back in the inter-war times (around 1920-1945). It wasn't likely for quality, though. Probably to help recover the cost of the first war (which is why income tax is illegal; that was its only mandated purpose, and it was supposed to have been eradicated when such had been achieved).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook