Ukrainian writer in need of your knowledge

In summary: The only thing that comes to mind is that you are creating a "pocket universe" where the light energy is just removed from one place, and then you are using that energy to create another "pocket universe" where you destroy the light energy. I can't think of any physics that would allow you to do that.In summary, the concept for the sci-fi character Black involves denying light and being able to control it to create illusions, blind others, and explore the universe. However, there are inconsistencies and potential violations of physics in this concept that need to be addressed in order to make the character believable.
Mike Air
Good day and thank you for taking interest in this thread =)

My name is Mykhailo, and I am currently creating a concept of a sci-fi character. I require your help to point out obvious physics-related mistakes in my concept. Tips and directions on improving the concept are highly encouraged as well.

In the universe where the story takes place rare individuals may deny, refuse to believe in certain aspects of our life (quite anything goes here: from abstract concepts such as love/wealth/dignity etc. to laws of physics). This makes them different and (most of the time) miserable. The fictional part is that when such a person denies a concept, it is completely lost to him, but on the other hand he gets to bend it at will since for him it's nothing but an illusion. For example: 'normal' people accept/belive in probability, and this belief supports the random outcome of flipping a coin. But for those who deny probability the very idea of 'random' is a joke, and because of this denial they can actually influence the result of flipping a coin - getting 'heads' 100 times in a row for example.

Which brings us to my character, whose draft name is Black. He denies light. This renders him completely black (much like black holes I guess), since his essence immediately 'kills' photons that reach his body by denying them, and as thus nothing bounces of, no light is reflected, creating perfect blackness. He also doesn't 'see' in normal way - he just knows the light is there. If any light exists, anywhere - he can feel it. He can also switch it off by denying it. I'm planning to have him developing this ability so that he eventually learns to benefit from it in various ways:

1) create complex 2d (and later 3d) illusions of perfectly black objects - text, figures of people/animals, copies of self etc;
1.5) Pretty much everything that can be understood by his brain could be rendered this way. For example, if someone explained to him how the mandelbrot set is visualised, he would be able to 'project' it on any flat surface and to explore it in great detail (restrained only by computational limits of the brain)
2) temporarily blinding people by preventing light from reaching receptors in the eye.
3) explore the universe by mentally grasping light. I understand this can also be used to partially 'look in the past' because of the light reflected from Earth some time ago.

etc. etc.

My aim is to make this character believable even for a scientist, which is why I require your help in developing this concept.

Various notes:

I would like to point out that this is NOT in any way a superhero concept (although this was partially inspired by dr. Manhattan from Watchmen, the only similarities I want them to have is some actual science behind their abilities. I have read on wikipedia that Alan Moore in fact consulted some physicians while working on the omnipotent doc). The story will focus on phylosophy, human relationships, morality etc.

I apologise if my request does not belong to this forum, but I think you'd agree that it's hard to determine where to put it. I need some advice on physics, this forum is amongst google's top picks and I am posting in most general subforum. Again, my apologies if this post caused any inconvenience for the forum users/mods.

EDIT: Wow, look at the 'similar threads'... seems like another ukrainian writer - Uksvets - requested your help people. I mean, what were the chances=)

EDIT#2: I will check this thread next tuesday-wednesday. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mike Air said:
Good day and thank you for taking interest in this thread =)

My name is Mykhailo, and I am currently creating a concept of a sci-fi character. I require your help to point out obvious physics-related mistakes in my concept. Tips and directions on improving the concept are highly encouraged as well.

I'll contribute a few comments:

1. What happens if Black controls light and someone else is trying to control it in some other way?
2. Wouldn't denying light make you invisible?
3. I'd think you need to create consistent, detailed rules as to how "denying" things works.

Which brings us to my character, whose draft name is Black. He denies light. This renders him completely black (much like black holes I guess), since his essence immediately 'kills' photons that reach his body by denying them, and as thus nothing bounces of, no light is reflected, creating perfect blackness. He also doesn't 'see' in normal way - he just knows the light is there. If any light exists, anywhere - he can feel it. He can also switch it off by denying it. I'm planning to have him developing this ability so that he eventually learns to benefit from it in various ways

I don't really understand this ability to deny something, but the reason that things are black is because they absorb all the light, so that there are no photons left to get reflected back. So black holes are black because their gravitation field just pulls all the photons within the hole. Light is composed of photons, which are just packets of energy. It doesn't make much sense to me to just destroy (if that is what "kills" means) energy because that would violate the Law of Conservation of Energy.

What is the significance of Ukrainian writers?

Ukrainian writers play a crucial role in preserving and promoting Ukrainian culture and literature. They have contributed to the development of Ukrainian language and identity, and their works have been translated and recognized internationally.

Who are some famous Ukrainian writers?

Some of the most famous Ukrainian writers include Taras Shevchenko, Ivan Franko, Lesia Ukrainka, and Mykhailo Kotsiubynsky. These writers have made significant contributions to Ukrainian literature and are widely celebrated in their home country.

What themes are commonly explored in Ukrainian literature?

Ukrainian literature often explores themes such as national identity, rural life, and social and political issues. Many Ukrainian writers have also incorporated elements of folklore and mythology into their works.

What impact have Ukrainian writers had on the world?

Ukrainian writers have had a profound impact on the world through their literary works. They have helped to increase awareness and understanding of Ukrainian culture, history, and society, and have influenced other writers and artists around the globe.

What resources are available for learning about Ukrainian writers?

There are many resources available for learning about Ukrainian writers, including books, online articles, and academic journals. Additionally, there are cultural centers and museums dedicated to Ukrainian literature, and events such as book festivals and readings that showcase the works of Ukrainian writers.