1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ulam Spiral

1. Apr 16, 2008 #1
    I've was reading about it [http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeSpiral.htm] and found it intriguing, has there been a great deal of study devoted to it or is it thought of as some kind of quark?

[P.S. I don't really know much about number theory, just curious]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's fairly well-understood. The diagonals are related to prime-generating polynomials (which you can also read about on MathWorld).

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    but ALL the diagonals of Ulam spiral generate Polynomials that have prime values or only a few special diagonals of Ulam spiral only generate primes.

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
    Be careful, no polynomial generates only primes indefinitely. I think you meant --only generate primes up to a large value of n --!

6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
    Uh.. sorry , then i meant what are the diagonals that generate primes up to a large value of 'n' or perhaps a bit harder , given a certain prime what is the Polynomial in Ulam Spiral that for a certain integer the Polynomial gives you the prime 'p' are there SERIOUS studies with calculations for Ulam spiral.

7. Apr 17, 2008 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm working through that one, give me a bit.

Parse tree:

Code (Text):
    (Uh.. sorry)
    (then i meant
     (
      (
       (
        what are the diagonals
        (that generate primes up to a large value of 'n')
       )
      or perhaps a bit harder ,
       (
        (
         (given a certain prime)
        what is the Polynomial in Ulam Spiral
         (
          (that for a certain integer)
          the Polynomial gives you the prime 'p'
         )
        )
       )
      )
     are there SERIOUS studies with calculations for Ulam spiral.)
    )
    Semantic re-formation:

Are there serious computational studies addressing:
    1. What diagonals generate only primes up to large values of n?
    2. Harder: given a prime p, what polynomials P have P(n) = p for some n?

Answer:

There are studies addressing #1. There is a close relationship between prime-generating polynomials and such serious topics as Heegner numbers (about which I know little). UPNT and MathWorld have lots of references.

#2 does not seem difficult. Do you have more conditions, or have I perhaps misunderstood you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?